The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   On Side Kick (https://forum.officiating.com/football/21652-side-kick.html)

gtwbam Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:43pm

During an attempted onside kick from its 40-yard line, the ball bounces into the air. As the ball is airborne, near R's 49 yard line, K2 jumps and controls the ball at R's 48 yard line. Prior to coming to the ground, K2 is pushed out of bounds where the recovery is completed. In the covering official's opinion, K2 would have landed inbounds.
What's the ruling?

JugglingReferee Sun Aug 07, 2005 02:01pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally posted by gtwbam
During an attempted onside kick from its 40-yard line, the ball bounces into the air. As the ball is airborne, near R's 49 yard line, K2 jumps and controls the ball at R's 48 yard line. Prior to coming to the ground, K2 is pushed out of bounds where the recovery is completed. In the covering official's opinion, K2 would have landed inbounds.
What's the ruling?

In Canada, the kick-off line is the 45 (because we have 110 yard fields). The restraining zone extends to centre-ice, the 55.

Therefore, this is equivalent to K2 while airborne, controlling the ball at the R53. This is a legal recovery by K (greater than 10 yards from point of kick-off). The official's judgment that R's contact pushed K to land OB when K would have landed IB follows the same philosophy as a pass receiver being pushed OB. It is a legal and successful kick recovery, K-1D/10 @ R-48.

Theisey Sun Aug 07, 2005 04:29pm

I think we better think about it a little more.

By definition (rule 2) an airborne player has completed a recovery when he first contacts the ground inbounds with the ball in his possession.

This K player did not contact the gound inbounds.

In the definition section for a Catch, very similar words exists but with the addition of the words or contacted by an opponent in such a way that he is prevented from returning to the ground inbounds ... .

Makes me wonder if those words were ommitted from the recovery definition by design or oversite.

I'm going with free kick OOB for now.

The Roamin' Umpire Sun Aug 07, 2005 06:30pm

I agree with Theisey - flag for free kick OOB at the spot where it crosses the sideline.

If the kick is in flight, then 2-4-1 allows a catch when the player is pushed out by an opponent, 6-1-5 gives the ball to K at the spot of the catch.

MJT Sun Aug 07, 2005 06:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Theisey
I think we better think about it a little more.

By definition (rule 2) an airborne player has completed a recovery when he first contacts the ground inbounds with the ball in his possession.

This K player did not contact the gound inbounds.

In the definition section for a Catch, very similar words exists but with the addition of the words or contacted by an opponent in such a way that he is prevented from returning to the ground inbounds ... .

Makes me wonder if those words were ommitted from the recovery definition by design or oversite.

I'm going with free kick OOB for now.

I agree Theisey, free kick OOB's.

It does not meet the defition of a catch cuz a catch involves "possession of a live ball which is <b>in flight</b>..." we have a grounded kick in this case.

A recovery is "gaining possession of a live ball after it strikes the ground. An airborn player has completed a recovery when eh first contacts the ground inbounds with the ball in his possession."

Dale Smith Sun Aug 07, 2005 08:37pm

Kick out of bounds. The ball was recovered not caught.

Bob M. Mon Aug 08, 2005 06:39pm

REPLY: Agree...the player never completed his recovery. The result is a free kick OOB. The contact by an opponent is immaterial.

nmref Wed Aug 10, 2005 04:20pm

Quote:

What's the ruling?

This may be a stupid question, but, has the ball touched the ground? If it hasn't, I'm flagging for kick-catch interference.

MJT Wed Aug 10, 2005 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by nmref
Quote:

What's the ruling?

This may be a stupid question, but, has the ball touched the ground? If it hasn't, I'm flagging for kick-catch interference.

Ya, he said the ball bounces into the air, so the kicker did one of those driving down into the ground onside kicks which then bounce high.

nmref Wed Aug 10, 2005 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by MJT
Quote:

Originally posted by nmref
Quote:

What's the ruling?

Ya, he said the ball bounces into the air, so the kicker did one of those driving down into the ground onside kicks which then bounce high.

Oh, I see. Thanks MJT.

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:36am

OK, so if he gets pushed out at the sideline, it's free kick OOB. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that K1 leaps into the air about 5 yards inbounds from the sideline. R1 catches K1 before he touches the ground and carries him out of bounds. Whaddyagot?

grantsrc Thu Aug 11, 2005 08:17am

Caught and carried= Catch. He would've come down inbounds.

Now, back to the original situation, one thing that is important to keep in mind here is the direction the player is heading and the direction of the push. It the push changes the direction the player was heading, then you have a catch. If the push doesn't change direction, then you have no catch. 7.5.2L

The Roamin' Umpire Thu Aug 11, 2005 08:18am

Technically the recovery isn't complete until he touches the ground. However, I'm ruling that the ball is dead inbounds because forward progress has been stopped* - K's ball 1/10.

* So what if K may not advance on this play? 4-2-2a makes no reference to that - it kills the play any time forward progress has been stopped.

Bob M. Thu Aug 11, 2005 09:07am

REPLY: However...4-2-2a refers to a "runner" which by definition is a player "in possession" of a live ball. "Possession" requires that he is handed the ball or he has "caught" or "recovered" it. "Recovery" requires that he first contact the ground inbounds. There is no 'exception' which allows you to rule a recovery because an opponent's contact stopped his forward progress like there is with a "catch." Therefore, he has not "recovered" the ball; he's not in "possession" of a live ball; he's not a "runner" and 4-2-2a can't apply. I believe that technically you still have a free kick OOB. I don't necessarily like it, but I think that would be the correct ruling.

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by grantsrc
Caught and carried= Catch. He would've come down inbounds.

Now, back to the original situation, one thing that is important to keep in mind here is the direction the player is heading and the direction of the push. It the push changes the direction the player was heading, then you have a catch. If the push doesn't change direction, then you have no catch. 7.5.2L

How is "caught and carried" any different from the original sitch. In the original sitch, he woulda come down inbounds as well if he hadn't been hit.