The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 07, 2005, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Theres been a debate between a few of us about when the NFL started putting the nets up behind the goals and what the reason, purpose of the nets. If anyone could shed a little light on this and put a old argument to rest it would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old Sun Aug 07, 2005, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

[sarcasm]
to keep fans in the end zone from
tossing things at the players ??
[/sarcasm]
Old Sun Aug 07, 2005, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoopensocker
Theres been a debate between a few of us about when the NFL started putting the nets up behind the goals and what the reason, purpose of the nets. If anyone could shed a little light on this and put a old argument to rest it would be much appreciated. Thanks
Wouldn't the reason be to not lose the footballs. I doubt everyone is so willing to throw them back. And when they did throw them back, they could throw them wherever they wanted and that could be another problem. In baseball they keep them, so I'm sure some would try to keep them.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Originally posted by hoopensocker
Wouldn't the reason be to not lose the footballs. I doubt everyone is so willing to throw them back. And when they did throw them back, they could throw them wherever they wanted and that could be another problem. In baseball they keep them, so I'm sure some would try to keep them.
That's the reason, in college some schools don't have nets. I guess you have to give them the football otherwise they can just kick you out and take it back.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes

That's the reason, in college some schools don't have nets. I guess you have to give them the football otherwise they can just kick you out and take it back.
Actually, with all of the cases involving homerun balls over the past few years, I'd bet that the legal precedent is shifting towards ownership of any ball that comes into the stands.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

They had some fierce battles in the end zone seats over the balls. Everyone knew where the ball would be coming and they would crowd in there and grab, kick, gouge, etc. to get that souvenier. It got pretty brutal so they put up the nets to stop it.