The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I just saw "The Longest Yard" and I always walk away from sports movies with the same feelings- "Why does Hollywood always give officials a bad name?"

Overall I liked the movie but many times I found myself saying, "That wouldn't happen!" or "What were they thinking?" or "He was out of position!" and my personal favorite, "Who in their right mind wears an adjustable hat?!?"

What's your take? Are there any sports movies that portray officials accurately/positively?
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Haven't seen the movie but I've seen the preview where Sandler hits the official with a pass, and then stands over him and asks, "Now, how 'bout you call a fair game."

Stupid.
Old Sat Jun 11, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grantsrc
I just saw "The Longest Yard" and I always walk away from sports movies with the same feelings- "Why does Hollywood always give officials a bad name?"

Overall I liked the movie but many times I found myself saying, "That wouldn't happen!" or "What were they thinking?" or "He was out of position!" and my personal favorite, "Who in their right mind wears an adjustable hat?!?"

What's your take? Are there any sports movies that portray officials accurately/positively?
I did not see the movie (any good?), but I have noticed this in other movies.

Usually the antagonists do something blatently (sp?) illegal over and over and the officials seem not to see it. Yes, I know it makes for better "drama" (although I can't imagine "The Longest Yard" is really going for drama), but that certainly doesn't cause officials to be portrayed in the most positive light.

I remember in the movie "Mighty Ducks" (yes, I know not a very serious sports movie), the players were wearing NHL style helmets (no face masks, just a rather flimsy "hat" part), while the masks, and quite a bit of other protective gear (now get out of the gutters, I mean neck guards for instance) are required at all youth levels. Also, the officials did not wear helmets, something that is, besides being very stupid, is not allowed (helmets are required for officials) in USA Hockey.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Haven't seen the movie but I've seen the preview where Sandler hits the official with a pass, and then stands over him and asks, "Now, how 'bout you call a fair game."

Stupid.
That part was a little dumb. But to put it in context, the official he was talking to blatantly didn't call a PI (on Michael Irving's character) and facemask (on Nelly's character) on two successive plays. After the first, Irving gets called for Unsportsmanlike which the offending official throws the flag, signals, and announces. On third down, Sandler hits him right in the nuts with a pass. On fourth and 22, the offense goes for it and Sandler hits him in the nuts again. That's when you see the comment you're talking about. The official was supposed to be the umpire I think but he was watching pass routes and was in the middle on the two plays when he got hit. On the two missed calls, he came from the sidelines. The part was intended to be comical and it was a little funny, unrealistic, but funny.

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
I did not see the movie (any good?), but I have noticed this in other movies.
It was actually pretty good. Entertaining, funny. Realistic- no, but all in all, a good rental.

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
I remember in the movie "Mighty Ducks" (yes, I know not a very serious sports movie), the players were wearing NHL style helmets (no face masks, just a rather flimsy "hat" part), while the masks, and quite a bit of other protective gear (now get out of the gutters, I mean neck guards for instance) are required at all youth levels. Also, the officials did not wear helmets, something that is, besides being very stupid, is not allowed (helmets are required for officials) in USA Hockey.
The first time I saw Mighty Ducks I was more concerned with which arenas they were at. I grew up in Minnesota and since much of the movie was filmed there, I was trying to figure everything out. I did notice some of the things you mentioned but I knew that only because I was a hockey fan. I've never officiated hockey, thought about it, but never got into it. Now that I live in Kansas City, I don't think I will ever add it to my officiating resume. KC has VERY little interest in hockey.

Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

The officials in "Remember the Titans" aren't exactly held up as pillars of fairness.

I've come to the conclusion that all sports movies, other than Hoosiers, suck.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
What about Caddyshack??
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Don't know if Judge Smails vs. Ty Webb rises to the level of 'sports movie'.

Judge - "If you don't keep score, how do you measure yourself against other golfers?"

Ty - "By height"

However, top 5 all time overall.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 02:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
The officials in "Remember the Titans" aren't exactly held up as pillars of fairness.

Hoosiers, done by David Anspaugh. He also did Rudy.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Rudy and Hoosiers are about as good as it gets. Bull Durham is up there too.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Going a completely opposite direction, what about "Air Bud"? Remember, with the basketball playing dog? The basketball ref in that movie was so ridiculous it was funny! Clueless, overweight, and I think he wore glasses. Gotta love it!
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Remember the completed pass that was oh so incomplete in "Friday Night Lights."
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 08:37pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Quote:

Remember the completed pass that was oh so incomplete in "Friday Night Lights."
That call had racial overtones IIRC.