The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Different Striped for Different Folks (https://forum.officiating.com/football/20613-different-striped-different-folks.html)

JugglingReferee Sun May 29, 2005 05:14pm

Football officials wear stripes.

AFAIK, non-NFL/NFLe/AFL officials wear 1" stripes. The aforementioned leagues wear 2" stripes.

What do you like better? Personally, I like the 2" stripes better. The 1" stripes are old. I think we need a new style.

Forksref Sun May 29, 2005 08:44pm

The 2" stripe is for those who are likely to be on TV so they don't run together on the screen. I don't expect to do a lot of TV games this year. No need for a change. It "ain't broke."

JugglingReferee Sun May 29, 2005 09:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Forksref
The 2" stripe is for those who are likely to be on TV so they don't run together on the screen.
Huh?

ref18 Sun May 29, 2005 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee

AFAIK, non-NFL/NFLe/AFL officials wear 1" stripes. The aforementioned leagues wear 2" stripes.

What do you like better? Personally, I like the 2" stripes better. The 1" stripes are old. I think we need a new style.

I like the 1" stripes personally.

I don't wanna have to drop $80 this season for new shirts :D

Snake~eyes Mon May 30, 2005 12:06am

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
Quote:

I like the 1" stripes personally.

I don't wanna have to drop $80 this season for new shirts :D

Excellent point

PSU213 Mon May 30, 2005 07:33am

Quote:

I haven't given it that much thought, but as I do, I see why--it really isn't that huge of a concern to me...I would be OK with either choice. In the interests of finances, as brought up before, if they do make a change, I hope they do it in a year when I have to buy new shirts anyway.

Jim S Mon May 30, 2005 12:52pm

Quote:

Quote:

The 2" stripe is for those who are likely to be on TV so they don't run together on the screen.
Huh?

The one inch stripes have a tendency to "resonate" on TV.
Ever seen a guy with a pinstripe suit on TV look like he's sparkling? No so prevelant with the newer sets these days, but it can happen on any receiver.

JugglingReferee Mon May 30, 2005 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim S
Quote:

Quote:

Huh?

The one inch stripes have a tendency to "resonate" on TV.
Ever seen a guy with a pinstripe suit on TV look like he's sparkling? No so prevelant with the newer sets these days, but it can happen on any receiver.

Since I work in the broadcast industry, you can be more scientific if you like. I have seen many many games with 1" stripes on officials and have no idea what you're talking about.

Dommer1 Tue May 31, 2005 02:23am

Well, it does seem like white takes "more space" than black, especially from a distance, as it often looks like the white stripes are broader than the black. This is especially true with the 1" stripes, and this is somewhat remedied by the 2" stripes.