The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

When I worked basketball, I was a firm believer in looking professional. I even gave lectures at my chapter meetings about dress. Some guys, particularly newer ones, listened with some interest. Many daydreamed while I talked. Oh, well. One thing I would say now if I was giving that same talk is to stay as far away from cotton as possible, like you were buying workout clothing.

Now that I'm doing football for the first time, I would like to get started right with the right gear. When I started working hoops, compression shorts had just come out and long lycra tights were new. I started wearing those and loved them, but other microfiber clothing wasn't in full supply like it is now. I wore, for example, a sleeveless cotton undershirt that was soaked halfway through the first quarter.

What I would like to do is wear skin tight shirts and tights, with the briefs and socks I already have. And I'd like to wear the lightest weight polyester official's shirt and knicks there are. With that in mind:

1. I've heard about some of the newer, lighter material microfiber striped shirts around. Who makes them and where can I get them? Are they worthwhile? Do they come in long sleeved as well?

2. Black or white undershirt? Short sleeved or sleeveless?

3. Any suggestions on tights? I'm obviously getting white ones, but for those that wear them, is tucking the shirt inside the tight sufficient to keep the black from showing through the knickers?

4. I'm afraid to ask, but are there any lightweight knickers? If not, what's my best bet?

5. What material are the one piece socks made of? How thick are they? (I realize that may depend on supplier)

6. Talk about hats as well. If I get a wool hat, it will last maybe two assignments. Perhaps three. I sweat so much that the white residue will be all over it like on my golf caps. Are there any newer material hats out there?

Any input appreciated.