The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   STC, March 3rd (https://forum.officiating.com/football/18893-stc-march-3rd.html)

kdf5 Thu Mar 03, 2005 02:03pm

Six loose balls may be legally batted. Name them.

Bob M. Thu Mar 03, 2005 02:41pm

REPLY: I'll try...
  • Fumble in flight
  • Low Scrimmage kick in flight in or behind the NZ
  • Scrimmage kick in flight beyond the NZ if no receiver in vicinity
  • Pass in flight (except backward pass batted forward by passing team)
  • grounded scrimmage kick by K toward his own goal line
  • ???

Can't think of the sixth...

KWH Thu Mar 03, 2005 03:20pm

Let me help out Bob...

A ball in player possession <b>may be batted backward</b> by a player of the team in possession.
Reference:<b> NFHS 9-7-4</b>

Bob M. Thu Mar 03, 2005 04:37pm

Re: Let me help out Bob...

Quote:

Originally posted by KWH
A ball in player possession <b>may be batted backward</b> by a player of the team in possession.
Reference:<b> NFHS 9-7-4</b>

REPLY: Agreed Kevin...I'd forgotten that. But he did say that <i>"Six <b><u>loose</u></b> balls may be legally batted"</i> We still don't have the sixth one!

KWH Fri Mar 04, 2005 01:30am

Re: Re: Let me help out Bob...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:

REPLY: Agreed Kevin...I'd forgotten that. But he did say that <i>"Six <b><u>loose</u></b> balls may be legally batted"</i> We still don't have the sixth one!
You got me there Bob, but I can't tell you the sixth <b> loose ball</b> situation.

kdf5, I think we give up...

MJT Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:16am

Re: Re: Re: Let me help out Bob...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KWH
Quote:

Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:

You got me there Bob, but I can't tell you the sixth <b> loose ball</b> situation.

kdf5, I think we give up...
I have been racking my brain, and unless it is a grounded free kick which has traveled 10 yards, batted by K, or what KWH discribed above, so far you are doing a great job of stumping these chumps. kdf5, I think the onus is now on you.

kdf5 Fri Mar 04, 2005 04:21pm

Here are my answers. Bob M. combined two of my answers. I think you had them all as far as I can see, just a matter of how some are looked at:

* A fumble in flight.
* A backward pass in flight, but NOT forward by the passing team.
* A forward pass, but ONLY by players eligible to touch it.
* A low scrimmage kick which R is trying to block in or behind the expanded neutral zone.
* A scrimmage kick in flight beyond the NZ which K may bat in any direction provided there is no R player in position to catch.
* A grounded scrimmage kick beyond the NZ which K may bat backwards ONLY, towards his OWN goal line.