The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Stump the chump - 3 kicking ?s (https://forum.officiating.com/football/18759-stump-chump-3-kicking-s.html)

MJT Thu Feb 24, 2005 08:18pm

Fourth and 5 on the 50 yard line. B7 muffs the punt at the B-10 yard line and it rolls toward his end zone. A26 muffs it at the B-6 yard line, then B38 accidentally kicks it at the B-4 yard line and it rolls into the end zone where A51 falls on the ball.

Fourth and goal on the B-6 yard line. On a field goal attempt, the kick is blocked by B19 at the B-7 yard line and the ball rolls out-of-bounds at the B-8 yard line. B19 had put his hand on Guard A65's shoulder to gain enough height and leverage to block the kick.

Fourth and 2 on the B-45 yard line. During the punt, B12 signals for a fair catch at the B-8 yard line. He steps aside and tries to block A26 at the B-10 yard line, but misses when A26 avoids him. The punt hits the ground at the B-6 yard line and A26 shoves B32 into the ball at the B-2 yard line. The ball then rolls into the end zone where A41 recovers it.

cowbyfan1 Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:33am

Quote:

Fourth and 5 on the 50 yard line. B7 muffs the punt at the B-10 yard line and it rolls toward his end zone. A26 muffs it at the B-6 yard line, then B38 accidentally kicks it at the B-4 yard line and it rolls into the end zone where A51 falls on the ball.

Touchback. Since it was still a kick (no posession gained) and all teams did was "muff" the ball back into the end zone, it is a touchback as soon as the ball crossed the goal line. 6-3-1 sit b in case book.

Quote:

Fourth and goal on the B-6 yard line. On a field goal attempt, the kick is blocked by B19 at the B-7 yard line and the ball rolls out-of-bounds at the B-8 yard line. B19 had put his hand on Guard A65's shoulder to gain enough height and leverage to block the kick.

B-s ball on the 8. There is no foul for this in Fed ball. Least not that I can find 8-).

Quote:

Fourth and 2 on the B-45 yard line. During the punt, B12 signals for a fair catch at the B-8 yard line. He steps aside and tries to block A26 at the B-10 yard line, but misses when A26 avoids him. The punt hits the ground at the B-6 yard line and A26 shoves B32 into the ball at the B-2 yard line. The ball then rolls into the end zone where A41 recovers it.
first since B12 missed on the block, I have no flag there. Had there been contact there would have been. The touching by B32 is ignored since A26 shoved him into the ball. Touchback since it was still a kick when the ball crossed the goal line.

PAUMP Fri Feb 25, 2005 07:31am

I agree with the second and third answers but not the first. In this case you have a muff which is a free ball. A muff can be recovered by either team but not advanced by the kicking team. Since the ball was recovered in the end zone it is a touchdown.

waltjp Fri Feb 25, 2005 08:14am

Quote:

Originally posted by PAUMP
I agree with the second and third answers but not the first. In this case you have a muff which is a free ball. A muff can be recovered by either team but not advanced by the kicking team. Since the ball was recovered in the end zone it is a touchdown.
To quote one of my instructors, "A kick is a kick is a kick."

The ball is dead when it crosses the goal line. Touchback.

kdf5 Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:17am

Quote:

A muff would ultimately determine who gets possession of the ball or what happens to the ball if force is involved but force is never a factor for kicks going into B's endzone as these are always touchbacks and it became a touchback as soon as it crossed the plane of the goalline. You might be thinking of NCAA rules and I have no clue how they would handle this situation but in NFHS, this is a TB.

Bob M. Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:09pm

Quote:

REPLY: You're 100% correct that the scrimmage kick is a "free ball" once it is muffed by B7. But, in Fed rules, it is also a dead ball the moment it crosses the plane of B's goal line. As long as you agree that it's still a kick (see NF 2-23-2), it becomes dead and is a TB when it crosses that plane (see NF 6-3-1a).

Your ruling would be correct if the game was being played under NCAA rules.

JugglingReferee Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:13pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally posted by MJT

1. A touchdown.

2. Pyramiding. Half the distance to the goal, possible first down, or at least retry 4th down.

3. We don't have a fair catch rule. Our punt receiver protection rule is called the restraining zone. If the text above happened in our game, there is a No Yards foul on A26. B-1D/10 @ B-17.