The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

What jurisdictions to NFL officials have over the game when it comes to snowy conditions. I have only seen this twice a Monday night game in KC where the rain was so bad the game was postponed for a little while, and Bob McElwee stopped a game in New York because of lightning.

But what about snow? I'm guessing prior to the game it's an NFL decision, and during the game it goes over to the Referee anyone know?

Would the NFL ever postpone a game like this weekend's games to Monday if weather conditons are THAT bad? I have an SUV so frankly I don't care. But just curious as to what could possibly happen.

An excerpt....(link pasted below)
"This storm will make travel difficult to potentially impossible this weekend," said Henry Margusity, AccuWeather.com Winter Storm Center Senior Meteorologist and Travel Weather Expert. "There is the possibility of near-blizzard conditions for a time Sunday in the big cities of the I-95 corridor from Washington, DC to Boston."

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/p...ayoff_blizzard
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
I have an SUV so frankly I don't care.
Why is it always the SUV guys I see in the ditch? I think you can get going pretty good- it's the stopping part you seem to forget about.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

You can always count on some SUV/4 wheel drive pickup guy flying down the passing lane 30 miles an hour faster than everybody else when there's a snowstorm raging.

"See Martha? I got me the four wheel drive so that when it's bad out, I can just drive real fast and not worry about HOLY SH...HANG ON!!!! AAAAHHH!!!"

As far as the question at hand, I think it's the league office that makes the call in conjunction with the game Referee.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

I would guess that snow would not fall under conditions which would postpone a game. This has nothing to do with the safety of the players (unlike lightning) or would make the playing surface unplayable (like a lot of rain on a grass field) unless the snow was many feet deep.

They sure didn't stop the game in the Fog Bowl in Chicago even though the camera shots probably made it look worse than it actually was. And they didn't stop the Ice Bowl even though it may have been dangerously cold. So a little snow just makes it a little harder to find the lines.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

The NFL faced a similar but much more troubling situation last season in the first weekend in December. The east coast was socked in by a winter storm that stopped most travel from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. Some officials switched games and other substituted other means of travel -- one official took a train from New York to Boston.

According to the forecast from the snow should be out of the way at game time but it will be cold. Pittsburgh is forecast for three to six inches which is no problem in that area. Philadelphia's snowfall -- six inches forecast -- starts Saturday and should end by Sunday morning. Forecasters are unsure about the timing and amounts because if the storm slows down the amounts will go up and the storm will last longer.

The league office is no doubt monitoring the situation and will dictate travel plans for the teams and officials. Remember, the officials have to be there a day before the game. And this season the NFL made the Dolphins leave Miami early for a pre-season game in New Orleans in order to avoid a hurricane.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Likewise, in week 1 of the season, the NFL moved the Miami - Tenn game up to Saturday, September 11th to avoid the on-coming hurricane due to hit Florida on Sunday, September 12th. See http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/...040911_TEN@MIA
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

I heard on ESPN this morning that the Patriots flew down to Pittsburgh yesterday (Friday) instead of today (Saturday) as originally planned.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewMcCarthy
Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
I have an SUV so frankly I don't care.
Why is it always the SUV guys I see in the ditch? I think you can get going pretty good- it's the stopping part you seem to forget about.
On a related note, my new minivan's owner's manual cheerfully informed me that the vehicle's anti-lock breaks do not enable the vehicle to violate the laws of physics. Which is too bad, because I would have paid extra if I could violate the laws of physics.