The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

I was wondering, can a False Start penalty be declined???
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

The distance aspect of any foul may be declined.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Now figure out when you would want to. Other than maybe to keep an angle on a field goal attempt.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
Now figure out when you would want to. Other than maybe to keep an angle on a field goal attempt.
Keep an angle? I don't get that. Only reason I can think to decline a false start is so if they punt it it will go into the endzone.

Reason to decline encroachment would be if you had were attempting PAT or FG to stay out of a mud puddle or somthing.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Thanks...

Reason I asked is I heard one of the commentators say that when a team that is punting and try the delay of game tactic to back it up a few yards only to have the defense decline. The commentator proceeded to say why didn't they just have someone false start as it's automatic. I didn't think it was, but I couldn't find a complete definition of this rule... so thank you all very much.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Keep an angle? I don't get that. Only reason I can think to decline a false start is so if they punt it it will go into the endzone.

Reason to decline encroachment would be if you had were attempting PAT or FG to stay out of a mud puddle or somthing.
He meant that the defense may want to decline a false start penalty if the ball was on a hash at the 1 yard line. This is a severe angle for the kicker. If they were back at the 6 then this would be an easier kick.

It doesn't happen often but there are certain situations, usually on kicking downs, where dead-ball penalties are much more likely to be declined.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Ok... what about this situation... NFL only would apply.

What if there has been a play that might be reviewable, if the offense feels like it is in their best interest ( after a LONG gain) to hurry to the line and jump causing a false start. Wouldnt this negate the possibility of a paly being reviewed???

I know its stretching it.... but the moment you think it wont happen....
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

It seems that the rule is written that the review must be requested prior to the ball next becoming live. A false start keeps the ball from becoming live and thus is actually something which would allow more time to request a challenge. But I can't be sure of this.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:

He meant that the defense may want to decline a false start penalty if the ball was on a hash at the 1 yard line. This is a severe angle for the kicker. If they were back at the 6 then this would be an easier kick.

It doesn't happen often but there are certain situations, usually on kicking downs, where dead-ball penalties are much more likely to be declined.
Ahh now I get it, I didn't understand at first, thanks for clearing that up.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 07:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by Hedwig1369
I was wondering, can a False Start penalty be declined???
A false start is illegal procedure in Canada. It carries a 5 yard penalty, down repeated (DR) (4-3-4). The yardage may be declined (8-1-4c).
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
It seems that the rule is written that the review must be requested prior to the ball next becoming live. A false start keeps the ball from becoming live and thus is actually something which would allow more time to request a challenge. But I can't be sure of this.
I don't know the NFL rule but this makes sense. I can picture the offense snapping the ball while players were still in motion and taking a 5 yard penalty to keep a long but quesitonable play from being reviewed.