The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Confused, looking for input (https://forum.officiating.com/football/16771-confused-looking-input.html)

See_Leather Fri Dec 03, 2004 01:30pm

Wondering if anyone has left a crew to go to another crew in the same area?? We have a couple of crews in my area with openings and my WH is not very repsected off the field by coaches and peers but knows the rules and gives 100% on the field. If I were to do this it could cause some rifts in our association, I think the other would welcome with open arms. I get along with WH, but wonder if our crew will ever be choosen for a final with the negitives. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

FredFan7 Fri Dec 03, 2004 01:42pm

Do you like working with your current crew? What are you officiating goals? Playoffs? Championship game? College ball? What will moving crews do to impact your goals? If your current crew is holding you back from playoffs, and you want to go to a playoff crew, then go. Know that whatever choice you make will have an impact and consequence. I don't know the politics of your association, but if you think you'll be hurt by the jump then stay put.

Is the other crew trying to poach you off your current crew? I know that poaching is kind of frowned on.

I know that's not very much help, but those are my first thoughts.

kdf5 Fri Dec 03, 2004 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by See_Leather
... my WH is not very repsected off the field by coaches and peers but knows the rules and gives 100% on the field.

Thanks

Just curious: If he gives 100% and knows the rules why isn't he respected?

jimbulger1 Fri Dec 03, 2004 05:16pm

i did it but i think my situation was diff

I was on a crew that was getting the bottom of the barrel games the referee did not know the rules and was coasting (i was the U) and we did not have a full schedule.

I took the position because it was only my second year and I wanted the experience. a couple of seasons later a well respected crew had a retirement while we had a new guy coming up and my old crew had only 4 games that year so i jumped ship for a full schedule and let the new guy work with the other crew No one begrudged me and the "old" crew is not even around any more

this is my story i cannot tell you what to do unless i had more info like schedule...playoff games recieved that sort of thing

ZMan Fri Dec 03, 2004 05:37pm

I just switched crews after this season ended. I felt my goals were not aligning with the goals for crew I was on and decided it was time for a change. It wasn't an easy choice as we had a great time and did a good job.

I would say that you may want to make sure your officiating philosophy aligns with the crew you are planning to join or you will have issues. Getting better games and playoff games are no fun if you don't agree on how to work them.

Also, make sure you notify your old crew as soon as possible.

See_Leather Mon Dec 06, 2004 09:38am

Thanks for all the input. He is not respected mainly because he has tendencey to be arogant, condisending (sp?), and just not thinking before talking. I have found that there are coaches that have mention that we did a great job for them on the field but that they don't want him to work for them. We get playoff games now and I am sure we will in the future, but would like to do a championship game and don't think it will happen on this crew because of the off field stuff. I am not looking for anyone to make a desion for me, but am looking for insight on how to approach it and go about it. THanks again for all your input.

kdf5 Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:13am

Quote:

Originally posted by See_Leather
Thanks for all the input. He is not respected mainly because he has tendencey to be arogant, condisending (sp?), and just not thinking before talking.
That will definately put off coaches and in the long run I would think your career is affected. I wouldn't blame you for moving on. Good luck.

SeanWest Mon Dec 06, 2004 09:27pm

I can't really offer any advice but thought I just throw out how it works in our association.

For us, a position on a crew isn't a lifetime assignment or anything like that. There is a draft for varsity crews each year so there is a good chance that you won't be working with the same guys from year to year anyway. This mixes it up and gives everyone in the association more opportunity.

(Below varsity, except for some JV games, the officals are assigned individually and you'll work with completely different guys each weekend for the most part. This is especially good for new officials so that they get the chance to see the different ways different people like to work a game plus it gives them a chance to meet and mingle and show their ability so that they will be known by the crew chiefs when it comes time for the draft.)

-SW---