http://www.billingsgazette.com/index...30-six-man.inc

I'm curious about the rule differences.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jfurdell
http://www.billingsgazette.com/index...30-six-man.inc

I'm curious about the rule differences.
The article was in the paper I receive as well and they had "the rules of the game" included.

Differences
1. 1-15 instead of 1-10
2. All players on the field can take a pass.
3. There must be a so-called "clean exchange" of the football, meaning the QB must pitch, hand off, or throw the ball before it crosses the LOS.
4. A field goal is worth 4 pts, a PAT is worth 2 pts if kicked and one point if it is run or passed into the EZ.
5. The slaugther rule: After 1/2 time, if a team is up by 45 pts or more, the game is called off.
6. A six-man field is 40-80 yards instead of the traditional 100-50.

Seen 8-man, but not 6-man. SOUNDS VERY INTERESTING!!
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
[i]
I’m curious. What traditional field uses a 100-50 yard field? You might want to check rule 1 about this
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by James Neil
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
[i]
I’m curious. What traditional field uses a 100-50 yard field? You might want to check rule 1 about this
Just typed what they said without reading it. Obviously it is 100-40. It was midnight when I replied, sorry.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
[i]
Just typed what they said without reading it. Obviously it is 100-40. It was midnight when I replied, sorry.
Come on MJT wake up! LOL The traditional field for 11-man football isn’t 100-50 or 100-40. The field we use is 360 feet by 160 feet. I don’t mean to be so anal about this, but knowing rule #1 is as important as knowing all the others

Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry I didn't have my calculator out to get the exact 100 yards by 53.3 yards. I can handle the crap for my inconsistency in this matter. The 100-50 was pretty close the 1st time I thought.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 09:53am
Ref Ump Welsch

The article originally appeared in the Omaha World-Herald here in Nebraska (yeah, our version of the New York Times!). Anyhow, the writer of the article isn't a sportswriter, but rather one of those "normal" news beat writers who doesn't have a clue on some of the stuff.

As to having seen six-man ball, I coached at that level for 2 years, and was a clock operator at home games and defensive statistician for road games at the school for 2 years before coaching. It's a whole different ballgame. I kind of hope they bring 6-man ball back in Nebraska as a sanctioned sport, as I'd probably be the only official in the Omaha metro area that knows the inner workings of the game, with the exception of about 4 other officials who worked the games when I was the coach.

One inaccuracy on the rules regarding the clean exchange (unless they changed it since I was a coach-don't have my books for this season with me at work) is that a handoff is illegal. It has to be a clean lateral exchange, i.e. a pitch out or a pass. The penalty for violating this rule is illegal procedure.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

It's been a long time since I've done a 6 man game. Some of the 6 man schools have consolidated and become 8 or 11 man classes. They are one of the quietest games you will ever do simply because there aren't many in attendence.

6 man football is where the drop kick is alive and well.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Last year was the last season for there to be 6-man football in Kansas. There was one team and they only played Nebraska teams. This year they consolidated with a larger school and now those players play 11-man football. 8-man is still alive and well though. 95 teams this past year in 2 divisions. Two state champions crowned last Saturday.