The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Currious.

Whos call is a chop block from the center on a LB? Is it the Umpire who knows if the LB is in or out of the FBZ or is it the WH who is watching it happen?

Thanks
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
Currious.

Whos call is a chop block from the center on a LB? Is it the Umpire who knows if the LB is in or out of the FBZ or is it the WH who is watching it happen?

Thanks
(a) Chop block is always a foul, FBZ notwithstanding.
(b) Could be either the R or U, probably more likely the U. At the risk of stating the obvious, whoever sees the delayed low block throws the flag.
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 02:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Currious.

Thanks
You realize that a chop block does involve two players making a block? It is not a chop block if one player makes contact.

A chop block can be called by any official that sees it. In your case either the WH or the Umpire can call contact on the LB which involves the Center. Now if you mean a block below the waist, which is legal if the ball is in the FBZ. It is illegal if the contact is outside the FBZ.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Since JRut mentioned BBW; if a SE/WR/HBack comes back into the ball and blocks the LB below the waist it's usually the BJ's call. The HL or LJ can make that call, but they are usually too busy on the outside to see what's going on inside.
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Currious.

Thanks
You realize that a chop block does involve two players making a block? It is not a chop block if one player makes contact.

A chop block can be called by any official that sees it. In your case either the WH or the Umpire can call contact on the LB which involves the Center. Now if you mean a block below the waist, which is legal if the ball is in the FBZ. It is illegal if the contact is outside the FBZ.

Peace
Actually it is not legal to BBW any time the ball and block is in the FBZ.
Blocking below the waist - initial contact at or below the waist from the front or side and they are not the runner.
BBW is permitted in the FBZ when
1) by all players who are on the LOS and in the zone at the snap
2) the contact is in the zone
3) the ball is still in the zone
So if that LB was blitzing, he probably would have been on the LOS at the snap, so as long as the ball was in the zone, the block would have been legal.
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 07:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT

Actually it is not legal to BBW any time the ball and block is in the FBZ.
Blocking below the waist - initial contact at or below the waist from the front or side and they are not the runner.
BBW is permitted in the FBZ when
1) by all players who are on the LOS and in the zone at the snap
2) the contact is in the zone
3) the ball is still in the zone
So if that LB was blitzing, he probably would have been on the LOS at the snap, so as long as the ball was in the zone, the block would have been legal.
What you are saying is true, but that was not the point of my post. The term chop block describes an illegal act. You cannot chop block any defensive player legally. Who calls it depends on who does it. It could be the BJ if he sees it. And has responsibility for a certain player that might participate in a chop block.

My post is not about what is legal or not legal in the FBZ. And who can be blocked and who cannot be blocked. The question was a suggestion (or least was not clear) that a chop block is called by certain official and can be committed by one person. I know the parameters of what is legal or illegal in the free blocking zone. But a chop block if committed by definition is never legal.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

the problem with a couple posts here is the confusion between a chop block and BBW. JRut is trying to point out that a Chop Block by definition is illegal period. There are opportunities to Block Below the Waist, which are legal at times and situations, but by definition a Chop Block always involves 2 players and is always illegal....
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 10:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Right on point.

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
the problem with a couple posts here is the confusion between a chop block and BBW. JRut is trying to point out that a Chop Block by definition is illegal period. There are opportunities to Block Below the Waist, which are legal at times and situations, but by definition a Chop Block always involves 2 players and is always illegal....
Exactly.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
I know a chop block is never legal, but Rut made it sound like a BBW was legal as long as the ball was in the FBZ, which is not true. I'm sure Rut didn't mean it that way, and knew the rule, but it may have been confusing to others. That is the only reason why I pointed it out. I know Rut knows his stuff pretty good, just wanted to clear up possible confusion.
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 10:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink I think you read too much into the answer.

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
I know a chop block is never legal, but Rut made it sound like a BBW was legal as long as the ball was in the FBZ, which is not true. I'm sure Rut didn't mean it that way, and knew the rule, but it may have been confusing to others. That is the only reason why I pointed it out. I know Rut knows his stuff pretty good, just wanted to clear up possible confusion.
Not sure how you got that impression, but that really is not a big deal. I am not here to answer every nook and cranny of the rules. I am just making it clear that a chop block is always illegal. You cannot have a chop block with one player under the rules (definition). What the person was describing sounded more like a block below the waist (legal or illegal) than what the rules call a chop block. You also have to understand that coaches use the term "chop block" to signify a legal act or just a block below the waist. I have had coaches this year claim certain blocks below the waist were illegal when they were in the FBZ and fit all the requirements of the rule.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I here ya Rut! Many coaches think a BBW and chop are one and the same. Just last night on a sweep, we had a coach screaming about a "chop block" when a receiver came back towards the ball, started his block up top and slid down on the DB to finish the block. Obviously this is legal, and even if he really did BBW, it was not a "chop" as he was the only guy blocking him.
Have a great BB season Rut! I hope to work that board somewhat as I am starting to do more varsity and college JV now. I still will be much more into FB, as that is where my real "passion" is.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 12:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Have a great BB season Rut! I hope to work that board somewhat as I am starting to do more varsity and college JV now. I still will be much more into FB, as that is where my real "passion" is.
Now that my football season is over I will try. Thank you for the kind words. I can tell you really have a passion for football and cannot understand why anyone would have a problem with you answering questions about it.

Keep up the good work.

Peace