The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Wondering if I was wrong in telling my wingman this or if worked it correctly.

Generally on a running play the wing will let the play "go by" then trail it.

Option play to his side. After crossing the LOS, the QB pitched it at the last second to the RB. My wingman was about 3 to 4 yards behind the play. It was borderline from what I saw trailing the play from the R spot as to whether the pitch was lateral or forwards. He threw the flag saying it was forward. I told him since it was so close he needs to read that play as being an option (seeing the RB trailing the QB) and stay with the QB until he pitches it, this way he is on the same yardline to see if it truely forwards or backwards and thus can sell it better. Throwing the flag from 3 or 4 yards back does not look real good.

Your thoughts.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Let me see if I got this right...

---wingman is 3-4 yards behind pitch man and flags the QB for illegal forward pass. You, as R, have some doubt as to whether it was forward.

This is what I would do. Huddle with my wingman and U and see if U agrees with my wingman. If not, I wave the flag off. Calling IFP from behind is akin to the U calling encroachment with no contact on the line. It's possible, it just looks like poor mechanics.

I have taught my crew that on questionable IFP, I or my U will move to the line (not necessarily the spot) where the ball was thrown and check to see if the spot is legal or illegal. If illegal, I drop my flag and continue to officiate. Then there is the adage, if there is question about forward or backward, it is forward...unless beyond the LOS, then it is backward.

Hope this helps.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

First - there's no such thing as a lateral. There are backward passes and forward passes.

Second - if you ask your official to stay even with QB on a play like this, you're asking him to get swept up in the mess when there is a pitch. He should trail, as he did. U needs to help on this call, and I agree with everything Jump said - flag it if you're SURE... if you're not sure, it was legal.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

This is more of a question than a statement, but...As a wingman, isn't the mechanic to take one side step, MAYBE 2 to let the play go by you before you trail? 3-4 yards behind a running play seems a lot to me. Taking one side step would put the wingman in a semi-good position to make a ruling on a forward/backward pass. If he throws a flag, I agree that the umpire should be consulted to see if he had different.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 11:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by RazorRef
This is more of a question than a statement, but...As a wingman, isn't the mechanic to take one side step, MAYBE 2 to let the play go by you before you trail? 3-4 yards behind a running play seems a lot to me. Taking one side step would put the wingman in a semi-good position to make a ruling on a forward/backward pass. If he throws a flag, I agree that the umpire should be consulted to see if he had different.
3 yards isn't very far when you are running.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RazorRef
REPLY: Three to four yards is really not much at all. In fact, I think it might be a little too close when you're trailing a play down the sideline. Allow the play to move away from you a little further and you'll get a better view of it. Your peripheral vision will be increased to give you a better perspective on the entire play. Really...how much more can you see at three yards than you can at ten yards? Watch D1 and NFL LJs and HLs when they trail a play. Rarely will you see them that close. Just as a point of reference, an NFL deep official once told me that seven or eight yards is consideredthe optimum distance from which to view a receiver/defender on a pass play.