The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FGallie22
Last nights 9th grade game, we had a TE cover up, He went down field. The umpire and I LG, threw a flag for ineligible down field, He didn't touch the pass. The WH, who has been calling for a long time ask us if the TE was cover by a denfer, we both said no, but after the game we ask him why he ask us that ? He said if the TE was cover by a defense back, it would have been offensive pass interference. We have both look all night and couldn't fine anything in the rule book are case book that covers that rule, does anyone no if that is right ?
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

That is not correct.
It could be OPI if the covered receiver touched the ball.
Otherwise, it is just a foul for an ineligble being downfield on a forward pass that crossed the NZ.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

First, you didn't throw your flags until the pass crossed the line of scrimmage, correct? It is not ineligible downfield if the pass doesn't cross LOS. If pass crosses LOS, it is ineligible downfield if he does not "touch or is touched" by the ball. If he "touches or is touched" by the ball, it is OPI. It has nothing to do with the fact if the defense covers him. Your white hat has to read 7-5 again.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Just a question related to this play. Do you guys use any special signal to communicate to each other that a player eligible by number is ineligible by position--such as the covered TE who presumably was wearing a 'good' number?
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

In Kentucky, the R and U place the palm of their hand on the cheek (the facial one, that is) anytime there is an unbalanced line; specifically that a tight end is covered. This is done after the fist signal for player count. The U then keeps an eye out for the player going downfield if a pass play develops (as the U moves towards the scrimmage line, it is very easy for him to see this person go past him).

This penalty is usually the result of either the tight end or the wide receiver mistakenly lining up on the wrong side.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FGallie22
Yes we used our arm fold up to our chest
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Just a question related to this play. Do you guys use any special signal to communicate to each other that a player eligible by number is ineligible by position--such as the covered TE who presumably was wearing a 'good' number?
Bob, what do you do? What we do is our wing will "punch" in towards the "covered end" and I, as the R will "punch" towards him. Bottom line is the wing needs to notice it, but we do this to try to help. If the wing misses it, someone needs a flag down if he goes downfield and ball passes LOS.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rdfox
In Kentucky, the R and U place the palm of their hand on the cheek (the facial one, that is) anytime there is an unbalanced line; specifically that a tight end is covered. This is done after the fist signal for player count. The U then keeps an eye out for the player going downfield if a pass play develops (as the U moves towards the scrimmage line, it is very easy for him to see this person go past him).
Interesting. The NCAA mechanic (and the recommended NFHS mechanic) is that the wing with four lineman on his side of the center gives this signal. In NCAA, at least, the opposite wing also signals by holding up two fingers towards the other wing - indicating only two linemen on his side of the center.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

In Georgia the wings are responsible for signaling unbalanced line.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Had this a couple of weeks ago. L signals me that he has 4. I do nothing in response. Next dead ball he jogs over to inform me that I need to respond to him on that. If he shows me 4, I need to respond that I have 2.

My first thought, unuttered, was - Isn't that backward....

My second thought, spoken, was - the reason I didn't signal back is because I had 3. When you signaled 4, I doublechecked the backfield (Yes, R should blow it dead with 12, but just in case...). Sure enough - just 3 in the backfield. Nothing illegal, nothing for me to signal back with, and I knew to watch that only the 3 backfield and the guy on each end could go out for a pass. (3-man, no U).
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 04:46am
Official Forum Member

I had this happen in a youth football game where the TE was covered by a wide receiver. The TE went out for the pass with the wide receiver, caught the ball and was tackled fifteen yards downfield. I threw my flag and told my WH what I saw, he asked me what I thought the penalty was, I thought it was ineligible receiver downfield so we penalized five yards from the line of scrimmage. I think this should have been OPI since the ineligible receiver caught the pass beyond the NZ. Which way is correct for this situation.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 08:27am
Small Business Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Exkalybr
I had this happen in a youth football game where the TE was covered by a wide receiver. The TE went out for the pass with the wide receiver, caught the ball and was tackled fifteen yards downfield. I threw my flag and told my WH what I saw, he asked me what I thought the penalty was, I thought it was ineligible receiver downfield so we penalized five yards from the line of scrimmage. I think this should have been OPI since the ineligible receiver caught the pass beyond the NZ. Which way is correct for this situation.
Your play should have been OPI.
15 yards from previous spot and loss of down!