The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

At our last meeting, one of our referees gave a brief talk about making the ball ready for play. He stated that he had received a complaint from a coach regarding the subject matter. It was late in the 4th Qtr. and the offense had used up all of its time outs. There was approximately 1:30 on the play clock and counting down. The complaint came when the officiating crew continued to maintain the SAME pace in putting the ball back in play. Again, I repeat the same pace - no faster, or slower. The coach complained that other crews in similar situations were hurrying the ball back to the LOS. The referee that spoke recommended that we, as an association, not do that! He stated that we should maintain the same pace throughout the game. He also stated, that to hurry the ball back in play was unfair to the defense. Your thoughts and comments please!
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 02:56pm
Small Business Owner

Cool

I agree with the referee, keep the same pace thoughout the game.
I will add this suggestion; Do whatever it takes not to have the game expire with the Umpire standing over the ball. If you fail and allow this to happen, most likely this is all you will hear about regarding what may have been and almost perfect game.
My 2 cents
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

I only do one thing differently on a hurry-up or no-huddle situation.

Normally, U sets the ball, I verify that both linesmen are ready and the down-box is set in the right spot and with the right down, and then I blow it ready.

On a no-huddle or hurry-up (whether this is at the end of a half or just the offense's normal mode of operation), I try to check on my linesmen and down-box before the ball is set, give U a nod to get out of there, and then blow it. I MAYBE shave a half-second to a second from my normal pace (which, I've been told, is a little on the quick side anyway).
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 09:33pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Philosophy

We don't have this problem in Canada.

The clock stops after each play and starts on the RFP or the snap, depending on how the previous play ended.

Also, a team does not have to snap the ball before the clock reads 0:00. They will still get one more play, but the play clock still is in operation.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

It's on the test

That is a question that always shows up on the Part 2 test. Maintain same pace.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: When you watch the NFL on Sunday, you will notice that they do hurry to get the ball spotted in this situation. They have been told to always accommodate the pace of the offense.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the book says that the time to set the ball and mark it ready for play should not exceed 3 seconds. How much faster are we to get it marked?

Under what circumstances do you folks call a delay when the leading team's players prevent the unpiling to consume time?
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by parepat
I believe the book says that the time to set the ball and mark it ready for play should not exceed 3 seconds. How much faster are we to get it marked?

Under what circumstances do you folks call a delay when the leading team's players prevent the unpiling to consume time?
Delay for unpiling depends on how they are doing it and must be on a time for time "must see it" bases. Are they tangled, can you "tell" they are purposely delaying. You should be saying "let them up, unpile" and so on, which then should help and you can see how they react to your "talk". If they are not reacting, you may have a flag. I think you must see it, judge it, and react accordingly.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by parepat
REPLY: The three seconds quoted is the recommendation for the time between the ball being placed down at the succeeding spot and the RFP. But a lot of time can be taken up getting the ball to the succeeding spot from the prior play's dead ball spot. That's where you see the NFL really hustling near the end of the half/game.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

All season long my crew moves at a rapid pace. On a running play the RFP sounds within 11-13 seconds. Pass plays take longer because of the relays. Most teams struggle to keep up with us.

Near the end of a half where a team is going hurry-up the only change we might make is to have the umpire retrieve the ball rather than relay if the play ends in a side zone.

My suggestion is keep a rapid pace all game long and do not speed up for the hurry-up.