The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Fumbles out of the enzone (https://forum.officiating.com/football/16110-fumbles-out-enzone.html)

jirland Mon Oct 25, 2004 09:25am

Player from Team A fumbles (before crossing the plain) and the ball goes through Team B's enzone and out of bounds. Where is the ball spotted? at the point of the fumble? What is the call?

Perplexed.

ABoselli Mon Oct 25, 2004 09:28am

Touchback. First and 10 for B at their 20.

Snake~eyes Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ABoselli
Agree, Team A put it out of the back of the endzone, it would either have to be a saftey or a touchback. And A can't get a saftey by fumbling out of the back of their opponents endzone.

PSU213 Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:

Agree, Team A put it out of the back of the endzone, it would either have to be a saftey or a touchback. And A can't get a saftey by fumbling out of the back of their opponents endzone.

Just to clarify somewhat, it's not that A caused it to go out of the end zone, it's that A put the ball in the endzone in the first place.

Snake~eyes Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by PSU213
Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:

Just to clarify somewhat, it's not that A caused it to go out of the end zone, it's that A put the ball in the endzone in the first place.

That's a good point.

ljudge Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:42am

If A put the ball in the endzone he's responsible for the force from the field of play into the endzone. If the ball becomes DEAD BEHIND THAT GOAL LINE it's a touchback. If B muffed the ball and it went behind the endline it's still a touchback. A is responsible for the force, period.

Now if B purposely batted the ball over the endline in an attempt to stop A from falling on the ball and getting a potential TD, then we have something different. It would be a foul for illegal batting, and if accepted, enforce half the distance from the goal from the end of A's run, which is where he lost possession in the field of play.

JugglingReferee Tue Oct 26, 2004 03:47pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally posted by jirland
Player from Team A fumbles (before crossing the plain) and the ball goes through Team B's enzone and out of bounds. Where is the ball spotted? at the point of the fumble? What is the call?

Perplexed.

Offside pass, DC at PF.

chiefgil Thu Oct 28, 2004 09:42pm

What if?

What if the ball went into the EZ, but did not go OOB or across the end line; it just stopped rolling and came to rest in the EZ.

Would it still be a TB, or a TD for A?

MJT Thu Oct 28, 2004 09:49pm

Re: What if?

Quote:

Originally posted by chiefgil
What if the ball went into the EZ, but did not go OOB or across the end line; it just stopped rolling and came to rest in the EZ.

Touchdown! 8-2-1c says TD when "a backwards pass or fumble is declared dead in the endzone of the opponent of the player who threw the backward pass or fumbled while no player is in possession (other than because of an IW).
Now you tell me when the ball will be declared dead without anyone jumping on it. If the ball stops rolling, and a player is going towards it, I am not blowing it dead, and it would not be stopped long before someone is trying to jump on it.

AndrewMcCarthy Thu Oct 28, 2004 09:52pm

Quote:

Touchdown!!

8-2-1c.

Bob M. Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:44am

Quote:

REPLY As others have said...TD. Strangely enough, I did have a play like this in a sub-varsity game many years ago. Fumble at B's 3 rolls into B's endzone where for some unfathomable reason, no one attempts to recover. They thought the play was over. The ball is laying there and I'm waiting for something...anything...to happen. I didn't want to enforce the rule mentioned above so I say to one offensive player, "Could you please get me the ball?" As he picks it up, I blow the whistle and ring up the TD. Probably the most oblivious TD of that kid's career.

MJT Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:16am

Re: Re: What if?

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:

REPLY As others have said...TD. Strangely enough, I did have a play like this in a sub-varsity game many years ago. Fumble at B's 3 rolls into B's endzone where for some unfathomable reason, no one attempts to recover. They thought the play was over. The ball is laying there and I'm waiting for something...anything...to happen. I didn't want to enforce the rule mentioned above so I say to one offensive player, "Could you please get me the ball?" As he picks it up, I blow the whistle and ring up the TD. Probably the most oblivious TD of that kid's career.

Interesting, and I like what you did, but what if the defensive teams coach said "why didn't you ask one of my guys to get the ball so it would be a TB?" :)

Bob M. Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:36pm

Re: Re: Re: What if?

Quote:

Originally posted by MJT
Quote:

Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:

Interesting, and I like what you did, but what if the defensive teams coach said "why didn't you ask one of my guys to get the ball so it would be a TB?" :)

REPLY: Actually there was no defensive player anywhere near the play and I didn't shout it so that everyone could hear it. Except for the player and me, no one even knew I had said anything.

CruiseMan Sat Oct 30, 2004 02:50am

Man, I can't believe that actually happened to you. That's one of those "things" that I kind of wish I'd see on the field. That, and a few others like; a free kick after a fair catch (or an awarded fair catch), a team who has just been scored on electing to kick off, an actual drop kick for 3 points.

I'm sure there are some vets out there who have seen these.

And personally, I think it would be quite amusing to have a ball lying in the endzone and signalling six points. Especially if you are the wingman on the defending teams side. :-)