The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I know you need 7 guys on the LOS. But do 5 of them have to have ineligible numbers (50-79)?

Is there a rule that states you must have a specific number of players on the field with ineligible numbers?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Numbering requirements only apply to those players that are eligible(1-49 & 80-99).
A player is eligible by both position AND number. If the player is not eligible by BOTH of these, then he becomes ineligible.
Therefore an ineligible player could wear any number, but an eligible player can only wear the numbers shown above.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FBFAN
I know you need 7 guys on the LOS. But do 5 of them have to have ineligible numbers (50-79)?
Yes.

NFHS Rule 7-2-5
"Player numbering requirements include:
a. At the snap at least seven A players, five of whom must be numbered 50-79, shall be on their line of scrimmage."
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have a rule book, but continue to read, something about an exception, except in a scrimmage kick formation. So, if a team is in a scrimmage kick formation the numbering requirements are gone.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by North Pole Alaska Ref
I don't have a rule book, but continue to read, something about an exception, except in a scrimmage kick formation. So, if a team is in a scrimmage kick formation the numbering requirements are gone.
The numbering requirement is gone but positioning requirements remain for players to be eligible to go downfield and catch a forward pass.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Quote:
Originally posted by North Pole Alaska Ref
The numbering requirement is gone but positioning requirements remain for players to be eligible to go downfield and catch a forward pass.
Correct on all of the above, and don't let the coach tell you "but # 45 has been our tackle all year and no other crew has called that. They all said it was ok." We heard that one a few game ago. I just said, "well coach, they should not have let you, and we will not let you so you better get a different number on him." Fun way to start the game!