The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Last weekend worked three games on a field with Field Turf.

Got a bunch of those little black things everywhere. But the next day my legs felt like they had taken a pounding.

What experience have others had with Field Turf?
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 10:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

I love that stuff.

Now, I have only done two games on that turf so I do not know how much that matters.

I worked two games on the exact same surface. One was with the local HS. The other was at the same HS, but a local Catholic team that plays on the same field. I never felt better after the game. Now I only worked one game each setting. Maybe that plays a part in the way I felt, but I hope that more schools would go to that surface. There have been a lot of schools that have purchased the surface and most of the officials seem to like the stuff.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

I love the stuff, the black things is annoying but definitely worth it IMO. It is nice and soft, the great thing is you will always have clear line markings and can trust the lines when measuring. My legs feel great after working on turf, were you wearing cleats? I don't wear cleats usually when I work the turf, I just wear black shoes.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Most of the fields we work in the Seattle area are now Field Turf, or better yet FT II. Prsonnaly I would rather work on that stuff rather than anything else. You don't get the ankle turning holes, the lines are great, when it's raining this stuff justs laughs and soaks it away.
I have heard some guys com-laining about sore legs the first couple of times they have worked it. Especially on a new field. The fields can be very "springing". It makes you run a little different because you tend to bound more off the surface.
TRhis goes a way, either because the field settles in, or because you get use to running on it.
BTW, for those who may not know, the "litle black things" are ground up tires.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a brand-new FT field last year. Basically it felt a bit like running on a muddy field; there was more "give" to it than on a dry grass field.

Afterwards, I had slightly sore leg muscles where I previously didn't know I had muscles. I also noticed I had what looked like dryer lint on the back of my shoes. That was weird.

But overall it was a pleasure to work. The lines are clearly marked, and the lack of a crown in the middle of the field makes it easier to see the whole field from a wing position. On a hot day, though, I think I would prefer a grass field, which better absorbs the heat.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Worked one game on it. Field went from old hard artifical surface to the turf. It was great. Softer. I was U in that game and got blasted pretty bad. Flew backwards, and my head did a bounce off the turf. As I was completing my backwards summersault, I thought, "Im sure glad this field is softer." The things you think about as you get wasted.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Field turf is the wave of the future.

I agree, field turf is a superior artificial surface...

I worked a game at Aloha Stadium last year and I noticed I was not sore after the game...

After the private-school double header we were hanging around and got to meet George Toma, the NFL playing surface guru. He has been in Hawaii off-and-on for the past several years supervising the renovation of the turf at War Memorial stadium on Maui (where they have the Hula Bowl and high school football) which is a nice grass field.

Mr. Toma was also assisting with the replacement of the Aloha Stadium astro-turf with the new field turf (the NFL was going to change the location of the Pro Bowl unless the State Stadium Authority changed the turf).

After the games we did, he hooked-up a grading contraption to the back of one of those Toro maintenance golf-carts and he went around the field leveling the ground-up tire material that sits on top of the sand and other aggregates layered over the fake glass blades...

Amazing that the field turf surface does require a certain amount of maintenance but for schools and municipalities looking to cut costs I was told field turf will pay for itself in under 7 or 8 years...
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

The stadium in my hometown switched over from the old astroturf to the fieldturf this year. It's amazing how much easier it is to do three games on the new turf then it was on the old turf. The only problem is on a hot day those rubber tire pieces really absorb heat.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 12:28am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
The stadium in my hometown switched over from the old astroturf to the fieldturf this year. It's amazing how much easier it is to do three games on the new turf then it was on the old turf. The only problem is on a hot day those rubber tire pieces really absorb heat.
It'll be nice to see how the OFSAA Bowls and the Vanier are at IW this year. We're sending 2 to the Western Bowl, including the WH. I won't be one of them.

PS: WLU clinches home field to the Yates. They just gotta win in their semi, GeeGees or Yeomen! They beat Ottawa already rather handily, and they play York in Toronto this weekend.

Will it be Mac or Western in the final? Mac clinched 2nd. Western should beat Guelph easily, so Mac will likely play Western again in their semi.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Love it, but

I will have worked 10 game on it this year between 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th grade games, and college JV. I love it, but the little black rubber pieces are a pain. I tie my shoes really tight, which helps, but it still gets in the shoes somewhat.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Give it time

After a few seasons, the pellets sink in pretty good and are not so easily kicked up and into your shoes.

They have to add a layer of pellets after the first year, but from that point, nothing.

I just got hurt a few weeks ago on FieldTurf as I had on the Spotbilts (old ones) and some players rolled up on my leg and my foot stayed planted and the knee was the only thing that gave way. Don't know if it would have been different on grass or AstroTurf, but it was like my foot was nailed to the ground.

The AstroPlay has thicker, wider "grass" than FieldTurf. Gonna work on 'SprinTurf' on Monday. I wonder what that'll feel like.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Smile

One of our local school just installed the new field turf this season. Got to work a varsity game there last Friday night. Nice to run on. The little black bits are fun but well worth the trouble. I agree with snake eyes on the lines. Had a play that was close to a first down and near the sidelines. I looked over and saw the ball touching the yardline with the stake clearly behind the yardline. First down. Defensive captain, home team by the way, says we have to measure. No we don't, your lines are perfect.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Over the last few years, I've worked about 20 games on the stuff. Felt fairly good afterwards. I worked in Giants Stadium right after they put their new field down. With all the black pellets, by the time we were finished, I looked like a poppy-seed bagel!
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Just did 2 games on the stuff. And I feel great.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

After three days and 4" of rain, it's great. I can still wear my white knickers next week.