The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

I had my first and only IW during my second year (in my 4th). I was working an 8th grade middle school game and my first game as WH. K in punt formation. Errant snap, punter on ground reaching for ball, defense bearing down, WH’s hand inexplicably rising to mouth, punters hand makes contact with ball, WH’s whistle activates, ball squirts away, R recovers. WH gives signal 12.

I use both lanyard and finger
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Sounds like the penalty saved you.

Your play sounds so similar to my first IW... It was my first year and I believe my first or second JV game. I was the back-judge. It was a long run from scrimmage and the runner only had one defender to beat. The runner's team-mate made a text-book block in the back against the defender who went flying face-down into the turf. I was so excited and happy to have my first major foul in a high school game I threw my flag and blew my whistle.

Luckily for me the defense accepted the penalty for the foul and I was bailed-out.

The coach of the runner saw the whole play and he had a good laugh at my expense. But he did say it was a good call.

So anyway, I had to purchase liquid refreshments for my association and at the next meeting I was presented with a whistle that was filled with wax and had no sound. Its a tradition in our association.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

How do you guys keep the lanyard whistle from hitting you in the face as you run? I used to get smacked in the eye with that thing bouncing around.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder if that's why you always see the nfl ref's have such long long lanyards. I mean these things go below their belt sometimes.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
How do you guys keep the lanyard whistle from hitting you in the face as you run? I used to get smacked in the eye with that thing bouncing around.
Dunno - my whistle's never gotten close to my face, even at full sprint. Maybe your lanyard is too short? Mine has the whistle a few inches above my navel - it'd have to bounce quite a bit to smack me in the face.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

That could be it - mine put the whistle about halfway between my collar and my belt.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 04:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
I hold the whistle in my hand as I'm running.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Yikes!

Tipped pass going OOB. As soon as the ball tipped over the receivers head I blew my whistle. Thank goodness it went OOB and hit the ground.

See the ball all the way.