The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I have a question on a play from this Sat.

Game played under FED rules.

Team A punts, rec. team signials for fair catch but makes no attempt to field ball as is coming down inside their 15 yard line. Player from punting team A catches ball in the air before it hits the ground. Official on the spot throws flag and A is penilized 15 yards and has to rekick.

Do not know the ruling on this play and I am looking for an explaination.

Thanks
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

The official called kick catch interference. If no player from the receiving team is in position to catch the ball, this should not have been called. On a free kick, no K player can field the ball in flight regardless if a R player is in position or not. The official either felt that a player was in position to catch the punt or confused it with the free kick rule. That's my guess anyway.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Patton
The official called kick catch interference. If no player from the receiving team is in position to catch the ball, this should not have been called. On a free kick, no K player can field the ball in flight regardless if a R player is in position or not. The official either felt that a player was in position to catch the punt or confused it with the free kick rule. That's my guess anyway.
Agreed, sounds to me like a player was in position to catch the ball, if not then a goofed call.