The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Where and what do we have next? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/15782-where-what-do-we-have-next.html)

BoBo Thu Oct 07, 2004 09:03pm

2nd a 8 from B's 48.

A12 runs the ball and is pushed out of bounds at B's 28. A12 decides to do some trash talking after the play is blown dead and is flagged for an unsportsmanlike foul.

Where will the ball be spotted and what is the down and distance?

waltjp Thu Oct 07, 2004 09:11pm

Dead ball foul.

A 1/10 from B43.

BoBo Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:44pm

Damn, I screwed it up tonight. Had a couple city schools tonight in a sophomore game. Not a real nailbiter, 71-0, and we did lots of babysitting.

Did the worse thing possible got in a hurry trying to explain the enforcement and administered it incorrectly.

Went back 15 yards from the end of the run and gave the offense 3rd and 3 from the 43.

It was in the second half and kind of got into the lets let everybody get out of here safe and unijured mode.

Poor job out of me.

One side note one of the guys was thinking it to would be 1st an 25.

That I know can not happen UNLESS the chains have been set for 1st and 10 the ball has been whistled ready for play and THEN you have an unsportsmanlike on the offense. Correct!?!?

SJoldguy Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:55pm

That I know can not happen UNLESS the chains have been set for 1st and 10 the ball has been whistled ready for play and THEN you have an unsportsmanlike on the offense. Correct!?!? [/B][/QUOTE]

100% correct

BoBo Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:01pm

Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

For some reason I am brainfarting on this tonight.

A ends up short of the line to gain. Say 3rd and 4.

USC like on B first and then USC on A.

We march of the 15 yards on B first. This now results in a 1st and 10 for A.

Then we march 15 yards off on A and it is still 1st and 10 provided no half the distance walkoff on B first.

Man I think I am tired and need sleep. I am going to hunt for the rule books and clarify this.

waltjp Fri Oct 08, 2004 06:47am

I don't think so. If both of these fouls occurred during the same dead ball period and assuming you're marking a full 15 years for both infractions, you still have 3/4 from the original line of scrimmage.

Penalize B 15 yards. Penalize A 15 yards. Then reset the stakes if necessary.

A would only get a get a first down if they made the line to gain after enforcement of both penalties.

mikesears Fri Oct 08, 2004 07:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by waltjp
I don't think so. If both of these fouls occurred during the same dead ball period and assuming you're marking a full 15 years for both infractions, you still have 3/4 from the original line of scrimmage.

A would only get a get a first down if they made the line to gain after enforcement of both penalties.

Each penalty is administered separately and in the order of occurance. Part of that administration is determining if a foul by B gives team A a first down.

A new series is awarded:

After a first, second or third down, a new series of downs shall be awarded only after considering the effect of any act during the down and any dead-ball foul <u>by B</u>.

Rich Fri Oct 08, 2004 07:47am

Quote:

Originally posted by waltjp

You're consistent at least -- but wrong in two threads.

waltjp Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:17pm

I'm having a bad day...

BoBo Fri Oct 08, 2004 02:09pm

A ends up short of the line to gain. Say 3rd and 4.

USC like on B first and then USC on A.

We march of the 15 yards on B first. This now results in a 1st and 10 for A.

Then we march 15 yards off on A and it is still 1st and 10 provided no half the distance walkoff on B first.

So on the above play my interpretation is correct or not.

Just a simple yes or no

mcrowder Fri Oct 08, 2004 02:15pm

One last comment... Hook Em. Your Sooners are going down.

:)

BoBo Fri Oct 08, 2004 02:23pm

I found my answer on another thread.

MCrowder I have a bad feeling about this weeks game. I have twin boys and one of them is a Horn fan so it will be interesting.

http://www.ousooners.net/Avatars/Tx_...Horns_Flag.gif