The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Friday night I was the white hat. I threw a holding flag on a play. As I was telling B's captain his choices, my LJ says that there was intentional grounding. I asked him where his flag was. Being a rookie he said that he thought my flag was for the grounding so he didn't throw his and didn't know I had a holding call. Our ump verified the grounding. I didn't see the grounding (I did see the pass) as I was watching the hold and watching for roughing.

I then gave B the choices for the multiple fouls and they accepted the grounding. Was this the right thing to do or should I have not given the grounding choice as there wasn't a flag. A's coach didn't say a word about it.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

A rookie at R? Never heard that. Personally I would have just made my flag the intentional grounding flag. Because they will oviously accept that, unless the holding was so ovious that you had to make a point that you saw it. No one knows what you have when you throw the flag until you signal/verbalize it.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

The R isn't the rook

Snake eyes, read it again....the wing was the rook, not the WH..but remember the Intentional grounding is a call that belongs to the R...the wings are there to help, but it is the R's call, so even watching roughing etc..you need to be aware of the grounding possibility as well... so in all honesty, unless you are packing 2 flags you would have been in the same situation either way....
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Pack 2 flags.

Seriously, I see nothing wrong with the way this was handled, once you determined there were 2 fouls.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Hey if you don't have 2 flags you can always throw your hat!! We had this discussion recently, and my WH told us that we need to be aware of receivers in the area in case of IG. I asked him if we should throw the flag or just let him know, he said we should throw the flag.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Did you get the spot of the IG correct?
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Just throw the second flag when you find out that there was a second foul that you should have called.

Hope you could get some help on that spot in case you weren't sure.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming that since you were talking to B's captain that you had already given your preliminary signal for only one foul-holding. If that's the case, then drop another flag at the spot of the pass. Don't be shy about it, be confident and deliberate. Then go and redo your preliminary signal for holding and intentional grounding. Then talk to B's captain, 99.9% of the time the best foul to take is the IG. Make this clear to him, and never set up a player for failure. Enforce the IG, then do your final signals. Personally I like to talk it though even if I'm not wearing a mic, "Holding-offense-that penalty is declined. IG-offense-5yds from the spot of the foul-loss of down-(X)down."
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

The LJ was the rookie. I honestly didn't see the IG as the hold was right where the QB let go of the pass. I'll keep a better eye out for that next time though.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kdf5
The LJ was the rookie. I honestly didn't see the IG as the hold was right where the QB let go of the pass. I'll keep a better eye out for that next time though.
It's not easy, especially when you're tryin to protect the quarterback, seomtimes you don't get a chance to take alook where the ball lands.