The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Penalty Enforcement on TDs (https://forum.officiating.com/football/15707-penalty-enforcement-tds.html)

BoBo Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:34pm

I believe this has been touched on before but will bring it up again.

A15 running downfield for a long touchdown run (goes in and scores)

As the White Hat following the play and cleaning up B55 bears down on A63 and block him in the back. No flagrant attempt to injure but definitely not called for. I flag for personal foul.

Touchdown good PAT moved to the 1 1/2.

I hate this enforcement.

We have gone from throwing the flag for it a few years ago and having to decline it to get the touchdown.

Now at least we enforce it on the PAT but at worst the defense gets penalized a whopping 1 1/2 yards.

I would like to see the offense be allowed to have it enforced on the kickoff. We are always hearing about player safety but are we really protecting them with a penalty of 1 1/2 yards but a possible violent cheap shot.

Yes I know some of you may argue if it is real bad you may eject the player but still the yardage is only 1 1/2 yards.

This may be only at the high school level but just curious how others felt and if there has been any talk of this enforcement being tweaked yet again.

ljudge Mon Oct 04, 2004 09:23pm

I think that's a good suggestion. I'm 99% sure the NFL enforces on the kickoff.

BoBo Mon Oct 04, 2004 09:41pm

Good point how does the NFL and the NCAA enforce these penalties?

Doc-WI Mon Oct 04, 2004 09:55pm

NCAA:
15 yd personal fouls may be enfored on the try or the suceeding kickoff (if there is one). 5 and 10 yard penalties are declined by rule.

chiefgil Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15pm

Accepting the enforcement spot on the try or the kickoff was an option 2 years ago in NFHS.

I wonder why they changed it?

KWH Tue Oct 05, 2004 01:37am

No sir, Master Chief, that is incorrect sir!

Quote:

Originally posted by chiefgil
Accepting the enforcement spot on the try or the kickoff was an option 2 years ago in NFHS.

I wonder why they changed it?

Your information is incorrect!
We have never had the option of the try or the kickoff. Before the rule was changed to the way it currently is written the foul was enforced on the kickoff only, there was no option to enforce it on the try.
Somebody can correct me if im mistaken but I beleve its been around 10 years since this change took place...

Bob M. Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:59pm

Re: No sir, Master Chief, that is incorrect sir!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KWH
Quote:

Your information is incorrect!
We have never had the option of the try or the kickoff. Before the rule was changed to the way it currently is written the foul was enforced on the kickoff only, there was no option to enforce it on the try.
Somebody can correct me if im mistaken but I beleve its been around 10 years since this change took place...
REPLY: I'll check when I get home, but in 1990, the Fed rule was changed so that "The penalty for a foul by the opponents of the scoring team is automatically declined when it occurs during a down in which a touchdown or 2-point try is scored." I believe that before that, the option was for enforcement on the succeeding kickoff only.

DJ Tue Oct 05, 2004 01:09pm

Maybe!

Maybe there are other penalties that should not be half the distance but in fact be placed at the one yard line. This, I believe is one type of penalty inforcement in the NFL. One yard line for a two point extra point try seems like a pretty good deal to me. I like my odds.