The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

2 questionable calls in a JV game last night:

1) Kickoff team kicks a high 20 yard kick, recieving team runs deep and nobody is near the ball, so K catches it in the air. Interference was called. Is that correct?

2) 2nd and goal on the 6. Team A runs the ball for no gain but unintentional facemasking is called. The penalty is accepted and half the distance was marked off. The next play was ruled 2nd and goal again from the 3 this time, is that correct that the down is played over?
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure about the kick catching interference, but I do know that 6-1-5 states that the ball must touch the ground and cross R's free kick line before K can recover - it also states that the ball becomes dead. I don't think you would have kick catching interference - but I'm not sure.

The second play was correct.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

K is not allowed to touch a freekick in the air until it has touched the ground or a R player. If they do it is kick cathing interference.

[Edited by andy1033 on Sep 24th, 2004 at 05:57 PM]
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

If a player of the kicking team touches the ball, obstructs the receiver, or contacts him while the kick is in flight, then it is a foul for interference.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

You got both of 'em right.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

found the ruling on kick catch interference - it is 6-5-6 - and both calls were right!
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Greyhounds30
2 questionable calls in a JV game last night:

1) Kickoff team kicks a high 20 yard kick, recieving team runs deep and nobody is near the ball, so K catches it in the air. Interference was called. Is that correct?

2) 2nd and goal on the 6. Team A runs the ball for no gain but unintentional facemasking is called. The penalty is accepted and half the distance was marked off. The next play was ruled 2nd and goal again from the 3 this time, is that correct that the down is played over?
Both calls are correct.

Just as a side note, an incidental face mask is not necessarily an "unintentional" FM (and vice versa). The grap of the FM can be terrible, the head of the runner can twist around, and the helmet can even be pulled off, but the FM may be totally unintentional (yet worthy of a 15 yard penalty).

Also, under NF rules, a personal foul FM does not carry an automatic first down.