The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Okay, guys, my first actual game ever is Thursday afternoon.

Remembering your own first game, what simple words of advice do you have for a new guy?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

It may take a little while to figure out but some of the vets will help you and some you don't want there help but two rules to always follow be slow on your whistle and if you THINK it's a foul it's NOT good luck you will have a great time.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
Okay, guys, my first actual game ever is Thursday afternoon.

Remembering your own first game, what simple words of advice do you have for a new guy?
If you throw a flag make sure you have a number. That's the first question a coach will ask.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
good advice -

slow down.
If you "think" you see a foul, it's not.
Position - be there.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

You'll get in more trouble dropping the flag than not dropping the flag, AKA: a good official knows when to drop a flag, a great one knows when not to. Also, at our state clinic a Big 12 official told us to go slow, go slower, go really slow and if you think you're going too slow then slow down some more.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

I'll never forget

My first game, jamboree actually. My good buddy shows up at my shop late, we get to field and they are underway. good buddy starts running to field, yells to me to BJ, I had no freaking clue on what to do!!! Been trained as a wingman, first play is deep pass, incomplete......did my best NFL tv trained job!!

I think the hardest for me was working the darn whistle, and trailing the play....kept wanting to keep up with the kids(or passing them), not blowing play dead soon enough, could not get the darn whistle to mouth without fumblin/bumblin.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 10:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Call what you see. See what you call.

Learn from every game you work.

Enjoy the ride.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to New AZ Ref
First thing I learned was to drop the whistle as soon as the ball was snapped.

Also my White Hat told me not to flag anything that I couldn't give him the signal and penalty.

No guessing "It looked liked something, but I'm not sure what "(His quote, not mine).

Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

My big 4 are as follows and have posted this message a few times. Just be able to handle the things you have control over which are...

1) Be on time (leave home early...account for road construction, etc.)

2) Be dressed appropriately and make sure your uniform is very, very clean including shoes shined!!! Be 100% dressed and ready to walk on the field by the time pregame starts.

3) Communicate with your partners. If you're a mute they won't like you....at all!

4) Hustle (but don't hurry)

The very best of luck!!!

Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to trainman52 Send a message via Yahoo to trainman52
Biggest thing for me on my first game 2 weeks ago was to listen to the crew. Take their comments as points of improvement and not criticism. Relax and enjoy and be confident. If you get into a situation with the coaching staff and you are unsure then get the other officials involved in the discussion, a coach has a harder time arguing with 2 or more officials then just one.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Not to worry OverAndBack. Speaking from working only as a LJ and it being my first season....

1) Keep the whistle OUT of your mouth. It's too easy to become excited while tossing a flag and inadvertently blowing your whistle. (Yes I did this but it was little guy and my first game!)

2) Don't do what I refer to as the NFL Syndrome your first couple of games. That is, watching the ball carrier wherever he is. Watching football on TV or at the game is way different from officiating one I have learned. And what I have found is the more I work the better I get. Instead of watching the *action* on the field somewhere else, pay attention to your area and what might be possibly going on behind the play.

3) Listen to your crewmates.

4) Understand PSK.

5) Be sure to get a players number on a penalty. I got so excited my first couple of flags all I knew it was on a color. The play would happen so fast, I would see a facemask or hold, check the number, follow the play, mark the spot, signal timeout, out of bounds, etc, then by the time I ran out to the WH I would almost forget everything that just ocurred!

and

6) Like it has been said already... SLOW DOWN!!! No one is going anywhere...

Now I'm going to reread this as it's all stuff I need to work on. Thanks!
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by New AZ Ref
Also my White Hat told me not to flag anything that I couldn't give him the signal and penalty.

No guessing "It looked liked something, but I'm not sure what "(His quote, not mine).

Great advice, that should force all officials to know the exact rule and signal.

[Edited by BigJWalt on Sep 22nd, 2004 at 02:19 PM]
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

#1. Learn something new from every game or every day you work. When you get home each time, add this to an ongoing list of things you learned. Read this a few times a week, and try to apply these newly learned items. After a few weeks, you see the list gorwing rapidly. Eventually you will do these things without thinking about them.

#2. Use military like signals and make them crisp. I have seen many officials look like ish, because their signals are lazy.

#3. Don't use mechanics you see on Sunday's (NFL) that are not NFHS (or your leagues) mechanics. I see officials use the "completed pass" mechanic in HS games often. I dont understand this, its not an approved mechanic, so dont use it.

Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

This is lots of great advice, I've got two things to add.

1) Like said above, slow whistle but when you do blow it, blow it loudly!

2) If its close, sell the call! Often I see new officials have a very close catch/incomplete and they'll blow there whistle and do a weak incomplete sign. Blow the whistle and sell that incomplete sign all the way. Same goes for fumbles that weren't fumbles because the knee was down. Also same for a close goaline call, don't hesitate with your signal, I see guys start to come up with the signal, stop, then put it up. Wait till you are sure then throw your arms up.

Also have fun out there, be relaxed, take your time. Good luck!
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Also have fun out there, be relaxed, take your time. Good luck!
I thought that was important enough to to reiterate...

And oh yeah, be careful coming home too. Maybe one day I'll post the story of how we slid through a herd of elk standing on the road without touching one of them while coming back over the mountain, and rear-ending the rest of the crew in the vehicle ahead of us!

Didn't take too many games to start filling up my war story book.