The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Can anyone in punt formation not on the line take a shotgun snap? W had #67 take the snap & pass for a 1st down. I can't find anywhere in the rule book were this is illegal. The receiving team coach was going crazy saying that it was illegal.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 7-2-5 Exception covers this. The only number restrictions are for interior linemen and eligible receivers. #67 was lined up in the backfield and can take the snap. There is no number limitation as to who may pass the ball from behind the LOS. You had a perfectly legal play. The receiving team coach got his butt blistered and he is trying anyway he can to recover.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckeyes
Can anyone in punt formation not on the line take a shotgun snap? W had #67 take the snap & pass for a 1st down. I can't find anywhere in the rule book were this is illegal. The receiving team coach was going crazy saying that it was illegal.
Sounds legal to me. Why'd he say it was illegal?
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Everything those guys said.

Just remember that #67 is not an eligible reciever. All A players that "wish" to be eligible must establish themselves as such by number and formation. By position (either under center or in the backfield), he is considered a back in your play. However, he is ineligible by number. So he can hand the ball off, pass it, run it, etc. but he is not eligible to recieve a forward pass (unless something happens during the down to make all of "A" eligible).

Jonathan