The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 18, 2004, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

While attending a high school football game last night, a couple of questions came up about the enforcement of penalties.

The first situation: The qb rolls to his right looking to pass, his intended receiver is held by a defensive back, and a flag is thrown. The qb tucks the ball and runs for a ten yard gain. After discussion the officiating crew walks off ten yards from the end of the run for the defensive holding. Is this the right enforcement or should the penalty be marked off from the original line of scrimmage?

The second situation: The kicking team is off-sides on the kick. The head linesman kills the play immediately while the kick is in the air. Should this play be stopped or should the play it out and give the receiving team the option to take the penalty or the return?

Old Sat Sep 18, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by qcumpire

The first situation: The qb rolls to his right looking to pass, his intended receiver is held by a defensive back, and a flag is thrown. The qb tucks the ball and runs for a ten yard gain. After discussion the officiating crew walks off ten yards from the end of the run for the defensive holding. Is this the right enforcement or should the penalty be marked off from the original line of scrimmage?
The enforcement you saw is correct... Had the QB completed a pass instead of running the ball, enforcement would have been from the previous spot... But since this was a running play, the enforcement spot is the end of the run...

Quote:

The second situation: The kicking team is off-sides on the kick. The head linesman kills the play immediately while the kick is in the air. Should this play be stopped or should the play it out and give the receiving team the option to take the penalty or the return?
This one was also correct... Encroachment (not offsides in high school) is a dead ball foul...

I'm assuming here that your game was in a state that plays by high school rules... (What state are you in..?) If that's not the case, then toss these out the window...

Hmmm... I wonder what the Canadian ruling would be..? I guess I'll never know...
Old Sat Sep 18, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Thanks!

Thanks Piggskin!

I wasn't sure about the rules and figured I would get the right answer on this board.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PiggSkin
Quote:

The enforcement you saw is correct... Had the QB completed a pass instead of running the ball, enforcement would have been from the previous spot... But since this was a running play, the enforcement spot is the end of the run...
Actually, the pass would not have to be completed. If the ball was thrown and the pass complete or incomplete, the enforcement would still have been from the previous spot.