The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

I had a call last week (I'm LJ). A is on the 1 yard line, first and goal. Running play off tackle to my side. Runner is hit and stopped short of the goal. Here's where it gets tricky. He was met by 2-3 defenders. They stopped him, but they did not drive him back. He was not down nor was there any assistance from his teammates (A). There was no whistle. He was "wrapped up" for about a second, at which point he started to spin out of the tackle. He crosses the goal line and I can a TD.

From the time first contact was made by "B" until he crossed the goal line, was no more 2 seconds.

You can imagine the "B" coach was irrate the forward progess had been stopped. So if your working the line how do you judge when to and when not to stop the play?

I am not second guessing my call (had the "A" player spun out of the tackle and then fumbled, I wouldn't have stopped it over forward progress) I just wanted to know if anyone with more experience can help a relative newbie out on this judgement call.

Jim
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a good call. Just remember to be consistent. If you don't believe the play is dead, it's not dead (whether the next action is a TD or a fumble). It's dead when he's stopped (no forward motion, and no legs still running), or when his forward motion is obviously stopped and he's going backward.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a good call.

In my opinion, you give the benefit of the doubt to the runner. Hold your whistle and see if he breaks free. If he does fine, if not, you got the spot. But, and I know that not everyone agrees with me on this one, if he is held for two seconds or more, and the ball comes out, I'm probably calling forward progress instead.

Would be interesting to hear more viewpoints on this.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Another factor here is whether he is wrapped up and about to be hit by another defender. This can be considered a safety issue. It sounds like you got it right. I've always considered forward progress to be one of the most difficult calls.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Around the goal line, I'm ALWAYS an extra 2 seconds behind on my whistle in this situation. I want to give the runner every chance I can to get out.

I think you got it right.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 09:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthGARef
Around the goal line, I'm ALWAYS an extra 2 seconds behind on my whistle in this situation. I want to give the runner every chance I can to get out.

I think you got it right.
Me too.

--Rich
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Let the player use his athleticism. Runners don't always go down when hit squarely - they can twist, spin, bounce off etc. If a kid has that talent, let him show it.

The important thing was that at no time was there a whistle. Good job, in my opinion.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

I am not second guessing my call (had the "A" player spun out of the tackle and then fumbled, I wouldn't have stopped it over forward progress) I just wanted to know if anyone with more experience can help a relative newbie out on this judgement call.

Jim [/B][/QUOTE]

Just remember one side will always be unhappy with your call. I had a similar type of call a few weeks ago. I had a receiver attempt to catch a ball near the sideline. The ball was in the receiver's hands when the defender slapped the ball away. The ball then rolled out of bounds. I ruled the pass was incomplete, using the rule of thumb that if you have a question between an incomplete or fumble, go with the incomplete. Of course the team that had the ball was irate, because they thought it should've been a catch and fumble. However, if that play was in the middle of the field, they would have been arguing it was an incomplete pass.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Sounds like the right call to me also.