The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

My first season officiating and after a couple of weeks of little guy football, my first real game was as LJ at the Varsity level.

It went very well as I had really studied up on the mechanics and rules as much as I could, plus nothing really out of the ordinary had ocurred. It also helped me to go through the most common penalty listings and then follow the associated rules, and go back and reread them.

Some of the rules seemed complicated with the language NF uses in it's rule book and it took a few readings to work some of them out.

Here's my question and don't be flaming the newbie either please...

Working LJ. Center places his hands on the ball, no one is in the NZ prior to the snap taking place (Encroachment).

1) Just prior to the snap the receiver begins his route but doesn't break the NZ before the ball is legally snapped. So there is movement prior to the ball being snapped but no true Encroachment. False Start? Illegal Motion?

2) Same scenario but the receiver DOES break the NZ before the ball is legally snapped. Encroachment still? Or is it Illegal Motion because he was moving prior to the snap as he was anticipating the snap but left early?
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

False start in both cases.

Whether he was in the NZ doesn't matter, because he feigned the start of the play, which whether he's 8 yards off the line or right on it, is a false start, dead ball penalty.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

It would probably help if someone gave an example of when a receiver would be guilty of encroachment or illegal motion, instead of False Start in Fed. I'd do it, but I'm NCAA, and I don't want to confuse anyone.

PS - WOW! 1st season, week 3, and you get a varsity game. Wow!
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
PS - WOW! 1st season, week 3, and you get a varsity game. Wow! [/B]
The rookies where I am at have already had 3 varsity games. What can you do when there is a shortage.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

This week I'm working 4 HS games and 2 little guy games. I'll be paying off my 'starter package' and soon be putting a weatherbeater shirt on hold!
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
False start in both cases.

Whether he was in the NZ doesn't matter, because he feigned the start of the play, which whether he's 8 yards off the line or right on it, is a false start, dead ball penalty.
Isn't 'feigning' more or less sudden movement without the intention of actually leaving? Simplified & Illustrated page 59, 7-1-7a states, "Jerky movements which simulate the beginning of the down or acts clearly intended to cause B to encroach are false starts."

In the above examples the receiver is definitely leaving early with no intentions of 'feigning'. Is this splitting hairs and am I reading too much into the rule?

False starts, feigning, would be a dead ball foul. But could it also be interpreted as an illegal motion/shift? This is where I get confused by the language of the rules relating to each.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Well, let me second that "WOW". Sink or swim, I guess.

Encroachment would be if the reciever had lined up in the NZ. (You're not going to let him do that, though). Illegal motion would be if he went in motion and moved toward the LOS before the ball was snapped.

Encroachment - dead ball.
Illegal motion - live ball.

Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

ABoselli, I'm not quite sure I agree with the first situation being encroachment. I guess it depends on what he does by "beginning his route" as the post says. If he jumps out as if he totally missed the snap count then I guess I'd agree but he's simply moving forward I'd have to say rule illegal motion.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jrfath
Working LJ. Center places his hands on the ball, no one is in the NZ prior to the snap taking place (Encroachment).

1) Just prior to the snap the receiver begins his route but doesn't break the NZ before the ball is legally snapped. So there is movement prior to the ball being snapped but no true Encroachment. False Start? Illegal Motion?

2) Same scenario but the receiver DOES break the NZ before the ball is legally snapped. Encroachment still? Or is it Illegal Motion because he was moving prior to the snap as he was anticipating the snap but left early?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

If the receiver is off the line of scrimmage (not one of 7 players on the line, and is moving forward at the snap, I tend to flag live ball illegal motion simultaneous with the snap b/c he is moving forward at the snap. Same thing if a fullback or running back gets a head start on the play. If the receiver is on the line, dead ball false start.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Jason - where in Texas are you? Dallas here.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

ljudge,

When he said he 'started his route', I'm assuming he started running with some vigor as opposed to just casually moving forward, hence my false start call.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

I've never heard encroachment being defined as anything other than being in the neutral zone. You may have a foul, but it would not be encroachment.

"Just prior to the snap" is not enough info. Was everyone set for 1 second? Backs and ends can reset if they move and they are then reset for a second prior to the snap. Motion fouls are live ball, throw the flag and play on.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
WyMike, It's easy. If your receiver was in motion and was going forward at the snap it is illegal motion. If he was standing there and took off early, call it a false start.
In the first case you could have an encroachment. In the second it is always a dead ball foul for false start.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I wanted to add another "WOW" to 3 weeks to the varsity field. In Nj were have to pass a state exam given in December. My district of the NJFOA requires a 2 year cadet program. Thecadets will work 50 or more sub varsity games in those 2 years. If they maintain a passing average on weekly test,pass the local exam,and have good field evaluations, we then and only then permit them to go to the State exam.

As far as the play: I think you have to see the action. All three(false start, encroachment or illegal motion )can be committed by a split end.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

WyMike,
Congrats on the first V game...who did you have???