The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

please help as I am confused team A punts to team B, team A the team that punted the ball touches the ball after it was kicked team B the rec. team then picks the ball up and runs with it and fumbles the ball. Who's ball is it and where is it spotted. This was a high school game in IL. thanks jb
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

The receivers have theie choice of the spot of first touching by the kicking team, or they can take the result of the play.
This is the case on all legal kicks first touched by the kicking team, unless a foul (other than an US or a NP foul) is accepted after first touching by the kicking team.

What have you got to say about that!
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

CBrockett Got it!!!
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

the ref's gave the ball to the team that punted the ball. Saying they had the choice because possession had chged. Is that right?/
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

No that is not correct unless the return team wanted to accept the results of the play. If the punting team touched the kick before the return team then the return team has the option of taking the ball where the kicking team touched it.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

here we are down one score with all the mo you could have and this happens.... again they punt to us with 5:50 left in the fourth they touch it and my guy picks up the ball and then fumbles is there any situation that this is not our ball. we get it back with 2:20 left no TO's and also lost 25 yards worth of field do I have a right to feel they stole this game from my kids..of course we were on the road. thanks jb
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Like has been stated a couple times, if you as the receivers accept the result of the play then it would be the kicking teams ball. If you did do that then would would really be looked at as deserving to lose the game as only an idiot would accept the play in that situation.

The only other way this would be different is if during the down, from the time your player touches the kick and thereafter, if there is a foul by any one of your players, then you could not take the ball back at the point of first touching by K. (rule 6-2-5)

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by csuram
please help as I am confused team A punts to team B, team A the team that punted the ball touches the ball after it was kicked team B the rec. team then picks the ball up and runs with it and fumbles the ball. Who's ball is it and where is it spotted. This was a high school game in IL. thanks jb
If the kicking team (Team K) touches the ball BEYOND the expanded neutral zone, it is called "first touching" and an official should drop his white bean bag at that spot. If the receiveing team (Team R) then picks up the ball and advances, the receiving (Team R) team has 2 options. First, take the results of whatever happened during the play OR second, take possession of the ball where the kicking team (Team K) "first touched" the ball (whatever is most adventageous to them). NOTE: This second option is ONLY available if the receiving (Team R) team does not commit a foul after they touch the ball.

Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

One last note ...the Ref first called the rule just as everyone on this site has stated but, then called both head coachs out and another ref had a different thinking on the rule and said it was the team with last pos. that has the choice on the play and since we fumbled the ball the punting team had the choice??? there was no penalties, am I missing anything or did they blow it?? thanks jb
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by csuram
One last note ...the Ref first called the rule just as everyone on this site has stated but, then called both head coachs out and another ref had a different thinking on the rule and said it was the team with last pos. that has the choice on the play and since we fumbled the ball the punting team had the choice??? there was no penalties, am I missing anything or did they blow it?? thanks jb
Sounds to me like they missed the call. Almost sounds like they got it confused with the inadvertent whistle rules.

Are you the head coach, an assistant coach, a player, or a fan who was watching?

Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

How many referees did you have?!?!
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

I am the off cord. but I have been talking to my head as to make sure as to what happened at mid field. 3 man crew.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Was the spot of first touching bagged? Did the officials see the first touching?
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

yes the spot was bagged and the off agreed the ball was firsted touch buy the punting team....still feeling robbed
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

3-men ... but hopefully only 1 referee!