The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 12:18pm

Did anyone see Wisconsin game this past weekend? I did not, but heard that the replay system worked flawlessly. College Game Day didn't show the plays when I was watching, but they talked about how excited D-1 coaches seem to be about the new system. Can anyone explain what plays were affected and whether it was clear to the TV viewer what the proper call should have been?

Thanks!
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I was at the game, up in the pressbox. The replays they showed on TV are the same replays the "reviewer" has access to. I'm not sure I'd say it worked "flawlessly," but no errors were made. It definately can disrupt the flow of the game, though.

The reviewer signals the R that he thinks a play should be reviewed via a pager of some sort. Then the R talks via headset to the reviewer up in the pressbox. The R never sees any of the replays, so it's up to the reviewer to communicate what happened to the R.

There was one play that was reviewed to determine the location that the runner stepped OOB. Ball was originally spotted at the B 28. After 4 or 5 minutes the R stated the ball will be spotted at the B 41. Though on the replay you can see when the runner was at the 41 he was standing on the numbers, obviously not OOB. Then the R got called back, and they determined it was actually the B 29. So they spent well over 5 minutes to move the ball 1 yard. If they can speed it up and work on the communication, then it might work well.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

It worked okay on the first play but the whole stepping out of bounds issue really detracted from the process. I can't remember exactly but it didn't even seem like there was a need for them to review that play. As long as they correct obvious errors though, I think it's a good idea.

I'm already tired of hearing "That isn't reviewable" by the talking heads.