The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 06, 2004, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

You’re working a game and the coaches on the Line Judge’s sideline are fairly calm but every now and then, they complain about something. At the end of the game it seems like the LJ had a tendency to side with the team at his back. You’ve worked other games with this same official and in those games he showed the same tendency. During the game, when to coaches complained, he throw a flag at the time or a couple of downs later. His calls weren’t blatantly in favor of the team but when the pressure was on, the calls when their way.

After the ratings, the Line Judge learned he was not rated all that high and doesn’t quite understand why. The coaches didn’t seem to complain all that much during the season, so why not a higher rating?

If the ratings could talk Between-the-Lines, they might say something like this. This official makes calls in our favor and he can also be talked into a call. We know, if we can talk him into a call, when he’s on the other side of the field, they can too.

Coaches want the feeling that their interest is being protected, regardless of what position the official is working, and have little use for an official who has a tendency to side with the other team.

Any thoughts?

[Edited by Green on Sep 7th, 2004 at 05:54 PM]
Old Mon Sep 06, 2004, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Well unfortunately I think it happens all too often. I think it goes on more than most people realize. I do beleive the official should not be ranked as high if he doesnt have the guts to make the right calls. I have learned to block what the coaches say during the game.

If anything, I tend to have more calls that go against my sideline than for my sideline. I guess it is reverse pyschology on my part. If I feel someone is trying to talk me into a call, I tend to do the opposite. I try to be fair as much as possible, but it is hard not to ignore a coach that is in my ear the entire game. However, I dont think it works in his favor in my case.

Old Mon Sep 06, 2004, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

I had that situation this weekend, I was the LJ on a 4-man crew (so I was moving around alot). The QB was getting tackled and pitched the ball forward, I threw my flag because I lost track of where I was at. The WH asked me if he was behind the line and I looked where my flag was and sure enough, it was right on the line so we allowed it. Going back to the sideline the coaches were all in my ear about how I need to stand for my call and yada yada yada. I told him we got the call right and that's all he should be worried about. (That's one thing I've learned on this board, it's easier to pick up a flag then it is to not throw it and be wrong). Anyway, the coaches stayed off me pretty much the rest of the game. Final score was 56-7 anyway.

I also try to do what bjudge was saying. If they are always on me, then I try to do less for them. I'll call the obvious but anything border line I won't call.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

We just completed our first scrimmage over the weekend. I am at a new position "Umpire," and was told that most of the time coaches do not yell at you. I guess there too far away! Being new to the position, my referee properly instructed me to move up to the line of scrimmage after reading a pass play. He also told me to drop a BEANBAG at the spot of a forward pass when I was not sure if the quarterback had passed the LOS. I'm sure this is the norm, however, I just wanted to mention it since schmitty1973 was dropping a flag. It's easier to pick up a beanbag than a flag. I questioned the WH about the lateness of then having to throw a flag (when we determined that the pass was beyond the LOS) and he explained that the beanbag would bail us out!
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
We just completed our first scrimmage over the weekend. I am at a new position "Umpire," and was told that most of the time coaches do not yell at you. I guess there too far away! Being new to the position, my referee properly instructed me to move up to the line of scrimmage after reading a pass play. He also told me to drop a BEANBAG at the spot of a forward pass when I was not sure if the quarterback had passed the LOS. I'm sure this is the norm, however, I just wanted to mention it since schmitty1973 was dropping a flag. It's easier to pick up a beanbag than a flag. I questioned the WH about the lateness of then having to throw a flag (when we determined that the pass was beyond the LOS) and he explained that the beanbag would bail us out!
The beanbag technique is but one technique. Our association teaches and uses the "flag technique" because it is easier to wave off a flag than to come back 5 minutes later and throw a flag for illegal forward pass.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

During a game this last weekend, the ball carrier was downed on the 35 yardline a couple of yards from B's sideline. As the ball carrier was getting up, a B player pushed him. The LJ told the B player to watch it (a warning) the BJ threw a flag for a dead-ball-foul. B's coaches (only a couple of yards away) got on their player for committing the foul.

The coaches were well aware the LJ was favoring their team and it was no secret to the other officials.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similar situation with one our members last year. I got him off to the side after a game and told him almost the same thing you said about reading between the lines of the eval. I also asked him to begin tracking the number of flags he had on the home team and visitors. Now I know you can not look at one game and see a pattern - but over a season, there should be little difference.

He honestly never realized that he was actually favoring the home team. Now he is still young and has a great deal of potential. Thick skin is developed with years of being chewed on. I had him in my crew last week - I think that rear-end is a little thicker this year.

If he is a vet, it may be to late. You may never change him, but if someone doesn't talk to him I'll guarantee he will never change. What have you got to loose - you already have a bad official! Be constructive, it is not an easy conversation.

If it continues - send him packing. Your whole association's reputation is at stake.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

You need to get out of any system where coaches "rate" officials. AD's and Conference Commissioners should do the hiring anyway. Any official who feels he is "beholding" to a coach is not worth hiring.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Forksref,

An official that can be talked in to a call or one that favors the team to his back is an "Appeaser" (Pacify with Concessions) dressed as an official.

Regardless of how officials are assigned, hired by coaches, ADs or whomever, will make any difference. Officials move upwards in plateaus, these officials need to advance to the next level, but some never do.

In our area coaches have input but don't rate. They can ding a maximum of three officials each year. Those officials will not work there games for one full year. The following year they can ding the same three officials again of select three different ones.

Old Thu Sep 09, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Is an official who will alter his game calling and/or enforcing penalties, because of game time and situation, just as bad as the official that can be swayed to alter his "vision" of the game by the coach behind him??
Old Thu Sep 09, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think so, depending on the degree you're talking about.

I think most seasoned referees will be more inclined to be tolerant in a 40-0 game in the 4th quarter of ticky-tack fouls than he would in a close game. If you're referring to something different, give us a particular.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2004, 01:16pm
goldcoastump

In a 40-0 ballgame, I am going to officiate the "Train Wrecks" and leave the ticky-tack stuff alone. I don't think there is morally anything wrong with this. I call it smart officiating.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating a 40-0 game or a championship game, there are three fouls that need to be called.

A foul that impacts the play... one team gaining an advantage over the other.
A safety foul... jeopardizing player safety.
A game management foul... jeopardizing official’s control of the game.

If a foul happens (as written in the rule book) that’s not one of the three, a warning might be the appropriate decision. Letting the player know you saw the foul, so he doesn’t think you’re unaware of it, I think is an appropriate way to handle them.

I would say, how an official enforces the three types of fouls, relative to the game... a 40-0 or a championship game will be a measurement of how successful the game is officiated.

[Edited by Green on Sep 11th, 2004 at 10:14 PM]
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Green
You’re working a game and the coaches on the Line Judge’s sideline are fairly calm but every now and then, they complain about something. At the end of the game it seems like the LJ had a tendency to side with the team at his back. You’ve worked other games with this same official and in those games he showed the same tendency. During the game, when to coaches complained, he throw a flag at the time or a couple of downs later. His calls weren’t blatantly in favor of the team but when the pressure was on, the calls when their way.

After the ratings, the Line Judge learned he was not rated all that high and doesn’t quite understand why. The coaches didn’t seem to complain all that much during the season, so why not a higher rating?

If the ratings could talk Between-the-Lines, they might say something like this. This official makes calls in our favor and he can also be talked into a call. We know, if we can talk him into a call, when he’s on the other side of the field, they can too.

Coaches want the feeling that their interest is being protected, regardless of what position the official is working, and have little use for an official who has a tendency to side with the other team.

Any thoughts?

Ten years ago when I started football, I had this problem. The coaches were in charge of the ratings and I subconciously favored the coaches that were in my ear. I was more worried about the coaches than what was going on between the lines. My ratings were horrible and it was a disaster for my career.

After two years, I went to another organization where officials controlled the ratings. This allowed me to concentrate on my game and improve. If I had not found a more friendly work environment, I would now be an ex-football official.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the rationale of 40-0 blow outs, and think the(3) "must" fouls idea is great. I was thinking more of a ball game that goes into overtime. Do you tend to "stuff the flag" and "let the players decide". (OT in hockey with no calls comes to mind). Or do you call the OT in the same mindset you would all others. Aother example might be...4th and inches late in the game, defenders are tight up on the line and a head(s) are in the neutral zone. To me the defense is trying to gain an advantage in being up so close, though some may see this as ticky-tack.