The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   blue bean bags at the college level (https://forum.officiating.com/football/15242-blue-bean-bags-college-level.html)

ref18 Sat Sep 04, 2004 07:03pm

Was watching the MSU game today, and I realized that all of the officials had blue bean bags. Is this now the standard at the NCAA level??

jack015 Sun Sep 05, 2004 07:24am

ACC is also using blue bean bags this season.

FBullock Sun Sep 05, 2004 07:34am

It's opinion. Our Div. III conference is using them as well. The officials manual allows it. Conf. USA used them last season. It's conference by conference.

KWH Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:35am

Big Sky Conference

Big Sky Conference will use Blue Bean Bags in 2004.
Just an observation but it appears conferences with supervisors affiliated with the NFL seem to be making the switch to blue.

<b>A reminder, the 2004/2005 NFHS Officials Manual (Page 10) still <u>requires white bean bags!</b></u>
While opinions may vary on which color is better, nothing looks worse than half the crew with blue and half the crew the with white.

SeanWest Sun Sep 05, 2004 02:52pm

Quote:

nothing looks worse than half the crew with blue and half the crew the with white
Does anyone but another official even notice the bean bags? It seems to me that most "civilians" don't seem to realize that officials carry them, let alone what they are for.

I'm not certain what our association has to say about it but I think they allow either blue or white for all levels. I've even seen a couple of guys carrying one of each at the same time.

For the record, mine are all white. ;-)

-SW---

Snake~eyes Sun Sep 05, 2004 03:41pm

I notice them but I doubt any other 'civilian' does. Like you said I doubt most of them know what its for and I bet most of the times they don't even seen them being used. Probaly about the only time is on punts.

Theisey Sun Sep 05, 2004 04:23pm

NCAA mechanics allow for a color other than white. From the CCA manual, "all members of the crew should use like-colored beannags." That means all white or all whatever.

I suppose if ya'll wanted to use pink bags it would OK.

NF mechanics did not change, the color is still white.

KWH Sun Sep 05, 2004 05:37pm

Texas Orange Beanbags

Theisey, I hope your post didn't wake a sleeping giant!
I am envisioning "Texas Orange" beanbags in some of the TASO chapters!
"Jus thank ya'll, "Texas Orange" never gits dirty!"

Tom.OH Mon Sep 06, 2004 09:16pm

How do you find a blue beanbag in the grass, sometimes I have a hard time finding my white (ok a little gray) one?

JugglingReferee Tue Sep 07, 2004 08:03am

Quote:

Originally posted by SeanWest
Quote:

nothing looks worse than half the crew with blue and half the crew the with white
Does anyone but another official even notice the bean bags? It seems to me that most "civilians" don't seem to realize that officials carry them, let alone what they are for.

I'm not certain what our association has to say about it but I think they allow either blue or white for all levels. I've even seen a couple of guys carrying one of each at the same time.

For the record, mine are all white. ;-)

-SW---

I use them quite a bit and often there are volunteers working the stick crew. At times when I'm nearby, they tell me, "Hey Ref, you dropped something over there." I've even had players pick it up and give it back to me. Cringe.

Mark Dexter Tue Sep 07, 2004 09:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee

I use them quite a bit and often there are volunteers working the stick crew. At times when I'm nearby, they tell me, "Hey Ref, you dropped something over there." I've even had players pick it up and give it back to me. Cringe.

My favorite is when they pick up a flag and hand it to me. :rolleyes:

"Yeah - we're going to enforce that from the, uh . . . the 50? Maybe the 45? Not quite sure - just make something up."