The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   What do they put in the bean bags?? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/15167-what-do-they-put-bean-bags.html)

ref18 Sun Aug 29, 2004 07:51pm

I had a game in complete mud, and my bean bag was covered. When i got home I put it in some water and OxyClean to soak. When I took it out, the thing was all swollen, so I'm just wondering if whatever they put in the beanbag expands in water or does it have something to do with the OxyClean??

Tom.OH Sun Aug 29, 2004 09:03pm

Its the water, had the same thing happen first time I washed mine. It will return to normal when it dries.

Mike Simonds Sun Aug 29, 2004 09:03pm

Try planting it and see if it grows...

I had the same problem last season... You might try planting it and see if the beans sprout...

Seriously, thats why I switched to a vinyl covered bean bag with sand inside. The vinyl is water repellent and much easier to clean.

ref18 Sun Aug 29, 2004 09:17pm

Ok, so it's nothing to worry about. That's good, I wonder what's inside it that soaks up water.

When I bought my bag, the place I bought it from was out of the vinyl bags in blue, so I had to settle for some type of cloth.

I'll probably pick up a vinyl one next time I buy equipment.

cowbyfan1 Mon Aug 30, 2004 06:21am

the vinyl works great.

I had some beanbag that had unpopped popcorn kernals in it.

I need to get a new vinyl one tho. I had it drop outta my belt the other day.

JugglingReferee Mon Aug 30, 2004 06:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
I had a game in complete mud, and my bean bag was covered. When i got home I put it in some water and OxyClean to soak. When I took it out, the thing was all swollen, so I'm just wondering if whatever they put in the beanbag expands in water or does it have something to do with the OxyClean??
You use a bean bag? Why??? Only the CFL uses a bb in Canada.

ref18 Mon Aug 30, 2004 07:20am

I think they're a good thing to have and they serve a purpose.

The main reason I used it was because it came in a uniform package I bought and I didn't want it to go to waste.

BTW, if I remember correctly, a while ago, you said that you also used one. :D

Jim S Mon Aug 30, 2004 04:56pm

OK, so you've never soaked beans before. They swell because they absorb water. However, as they dry out they will shrink back to where they were.

JugglingReferee Mon Aug 30, 2004 05:56pm

Quote:

The main reason I used it was because it came in a uniform package I bought and I didn't want it to go to waste.

You are correct, I do use one. Good memory.

But even better yet, I also know the yard line the bb shuold be at if I actually tossed it. If I anticipate not knowing that yard line, I toss the bb.

ref18 Mon Aug 30, 2004 06:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

You are correct, I do use one. Good memory.

But even better yet, I also know the yard line the bb shuold be at if I actually tossed it. If I anticipate not knowing that yard line, I toss the bb.

I'm lucky to get a field that has markings every 10 yards, so I just toss it anytime I feel i'll need a spot ;)

Theisey Mon Aug 30, 2004 08:38pm

Quote:

I'm lucky to get a field that has markings every 10 yards, so I just toss it anytime I feel I'll need a spot
Don't just toss it anytime you feel like it! The bag is a tool to help you, know when to use it.

here are some examples, memorize them. Other situations can be found the in officials manual:
(a) mark the spot of first touching on free kicks and scrimmage kicks.
(b) mark the spot where momentum carries a player into the endzone.
(c) bag the OOB spot if you have to follow players into the OOB area.
(d) bag the spot where a srimmage kick ends for PSK purposes.
(e) bag the spot where the runner is if an IW occurs
(f) bag a fumble or spot of a backward pass when these occur beyond the line. These could be an enforcement spot.
(g) bag spot where an A or K player goes OOB on his own.
(h) bag forward progress spot if you have to assist other officials in breaking up late action.

DO NOT bag muffed snaps!

ref18 Mon Aug 30, 2004 09:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Theisey
Quote:

I'm lucky to get a field that has markings every 10 yards, so I just toss it anytime I feel I'll need a spot
Don't just toss it anytime you feel like it! The bag is a tool to help you, know when to use it.

here are some examples, memorize them. Other situations can be found the in officials manual:
(f) bag a fumble or spot of a backward pass when these occur beyond the line. These could be an enforcement spot.
(h) bag forward progress spot if you have to assist other officials in breaking up late action.

DO NOT bag muffed snaps!

THanks, that was what I was looking for, some direction with it.

As it isn't normally used up here, there isn't any documentation outlining it's use. Thanks for posting this.

I tried searching the site through google, but I found that really annoying. BTW Mike, that's where I found ur post on the beanbag, I really have a horrible memory :D

cmathews Tue Aug 31, 2004 01:39am

what do they put in Bean Bags???

ummm hey they put um let me see.... BEANS in them :D

JugglingReferee Tue Aug 31, 2004 06:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by Theisey
Quote:

DO NOT bag muffed snaps!

Also, we're from Canada (ref18 and I) and many of those points may not be accurate. For example, (a) would bag possession, not first touching. (b) if momemtun carries a person into the EZ, he gained possession in the EZ, (c) although this is a good use, I've always found that I can keep the spot while turning my body to the player. It's never failed me yet. (e) if we have an IW, we don't need to bag because the play and PP is now PBD, which all officials should know anyways.

Theisey Tue Aug 31, 2004 08:31am

I didn't know Ref18 was officiating in Canada. I never would have posted a reply as I know nothing of those rules or mechanics except from what I see you posting.

My posting was for NF.