The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

A fellow official just called me asking about a question that came up in a midget scrimmage over the weekend. It had to do with a player wearing dark sunglasses. I told him it had nothing to do with the rule regarding dark eyeshields. In fact, I saw on the fed web site two years ago that eyeglasses that were dark were still legal.

If anyone feels I'm wrong please let me know. Assuming everyone agrees is note still required from a doctor?

I believe no note is required and that dark glasses are legal.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Sunglasses are legal. Prohibition against the dark eyeshields is because the player's eyes are hidden from view and they can't be seen unless the helmet is removed, which may agravate a neck injury.

You can take glasses off a player without moving anything.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Sunglasses are legal. Prohibition against the dark eyeshields is because the player's eyes are hidden from view and they can't be seen unless the helmet is removed, which may agravate a neck injury.

You can take glasses off a player without moving anything.
Really? I'd like to hear some more opinions on this, there is no rule that I know of that supports this. I don't think there is a caseplay either, if there is please cite.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Sun Glasses are illegal\

Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

ABoselli is exactly right, and so is his reasoning.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Most of the players wear a strap in the back to hold glasses on. They may not be able to be taken off with removing helmet NY does not allow sunglasses

[Edited by andy1033 on Aug 18th, 2004 at 07:53 PM]
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

The question was asked at the NY state interpretors meeting specifically regarding sunglasses and they were ruled illegal.

I went back and looked at my notes.

Ill advised, if you ask me.

[Edited by ABoselli on Aug 16th, 2004 at 05:16 PM]
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

OK. I located my notes. According to what I have it's legal, BUT the ruling I have is dated.

As you all know NFHS puts out its "interpretations page" on its web site every year. In 1999 they covered this and I don't believe the rule has changed. Here's what I have on paper, but unfortunately, I don't have this electronically.

If anyone is a packrat like me and have this please let me know. Especially if it has changed. Here's what I have on paper...

"Situation 12: Player A1 has a legal eye shield attached to his helmet but is wearing a pair of dark-lens sunglasses to cover his light-sensitive eyes.

Ruling: Legal. (1-5-3m)"
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by andy1033
Sun Glasses are illegal\

as Snake~Eyes stated, please provide the source of your comments.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

I believe I cited the source. Again, it was from the NFHS web site in 1999 as I stated. I downloaded it at that time and printed out the document. What I don't have is an electronic version of that same document, only from the printout I made in 1999. I could make a copy and fax the entire paper (5 pages total) if you wish. I'll look around on my computer some more but I changed computers since that time and may not have transferred everything. If I find this electronically I'll post it.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
I believe I cited the source. Again, it was from the NFHS web site in 1999 as I stated. I downloaded it at that time and printed out the document. What I don't have is an electronic version of that same document, only from the printout I made in 1999. I could make a copy and fax the entire paper (5 pages total) if you wish. I'll look around on my computer some more but I changed computers since that time and may not have transferred everything. If I find this electronically I'll post it.
thanks ljudge, I was directing my comment to andy1033.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
The question was asked at the NY state interpretors meeting specifically regarding sunglasses and they were ruled illegal.

I went back and looked at my notes.

Ill advised, if you ask me.

[Edited by ABoselli on Aug 16th, 2004 at 05:16 PM]
Difficult ruling. Does that mean the photo-tint, glasses that turn dark in the sun, are illegal?
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

My guess is no, as those lenses, once deprived of sun, will lighten and allow one to see the eyes of the player.

Then again, we didn't cover it specifically. Since I was wrong before on my assumption, I'm probably wrong here.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 12:29pm
VaASAump

So, if I'm reading this thread right, this is entirely a state association ruling. In the NFHS Casebook, there is a situation in there (1.5.3 SITUATION D) that states that the eye shield is legal if, in addition to being clear, it is also molded and rigid, and attached firmly to the helmet.

How can you attach eyeglasses firmly to the helmet?
Serg
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VaASAump
How can you attach eyeglasses firmly to the helmet?
Serg
Let's not forget, we're talking about sunglasses. Eyeglasses have been and I'm sure will always be legal. I would say if they are presciption sunglasses or automatic tinting glasses they are fine...and here's my reasoning. I wear glasses, and it can be much harder to see in the bright sunlight with clear lenses than with tinted lenses.

As for strictly sunglasses, I think you could ask most coaches that unless the player really needs them for an eye condition we would rather him not wear them for safety concerns.