The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

We've got our first scrimmage tonight and I'm already nervous!!! It's our second year as officials, half of us are ex-football players H.S. and small college, and we are still nervous about blowing something, or looking stupid!! I attribute it to the aura of this great game. Nothing like it in the world, whether you're playing or ruling.

2nd yr Ump
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Jaysef,

I know the feeling. Last year was my first year so I experienced the same thing.

My first ever action on the field, I was sent to do a JV game as the referee. I was so nervous, I forgot to get a good flipping coin, so I ended up doing the toss with a nickel!

The game went by at 200 miles an hour and I saw ABSOLUTELY NOTHING the entire time. The great thing about it though, is that I can look back on the game and laugh - many of the mistakes I made, only I and the other officials knew about it.

Just relax (easy for me to say) and have fun. One of the best pieces of advice a veteran official gave me is don't worry about throwing flags - you don't have to throw a flag the entire game - worry about your mechanics. You can always tell a coach "Sorry coach I didn't see it", but if you are in the wrong place, doing the wrong thing it will be obvious.
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Good advice GPC2. This is our 2nd year, but first time as a full crew. We split up with vet White Hats last year for FR/JV, 7-8ers games which was a nice safety blanket....

Thanks,
J
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We've got our first scrimmage tonight and I'm already nervous!!!
Just to let you know I have been at this for over twenty years and still feel those nerves before every game! The advice from GPC2 is great. I appreciate those nerves though so I don't relax too much and fall asleep out there.

Have a good time!
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 04:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb That is why we are there.

If you are nervous that is normal. It is just a scrimmage and you should realize this is your first "practice." You will not be perfect when you actually officiate for real.

Have fun. That is why we are there in the first place.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Mine's tomorrow and I'm nervous, too!

But I'm looking forward to it.

I emailed the (veteran) crew chief who I'll be working with, and he told me not to worry about anything, just to have fun and be ready to learn.

I can do the former, and I am definitely the latter, so it's all good.

What I really want is the chance to work with Jeff someday so I can overrule him.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 04:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
What I really want is the chance to work with Jeff someday so I can overrule him.
I will not be at Aurora tommorrow. I will be working at St. Charles East instead. Greg and his crew will be there. But watch out, Tom will "overrule" anyone if he does not get his way.

Rolly 1

Tell him I said that.

Eyebrow

Peace
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
If getting ready to do your first scrimage doesn't get the blood flowing you should hang them up already. Sometime... a million years from now, you will have the perfect game. Until then relax and enjoy.
And don't confuse eagerness with nervousness.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Man this is a great game! As you all know, once you get out there...it moves so fast, nerves become long forgotten. Our scrimmage went fine...not much laundry on the field (which is good since scrimmages are for learning)...

If any Umpires out there have some advice on how to use your keys to try and cover the front four on that O-line, and the best methods to cover what we have to cover on a scrimmage play...I'm all ears. It seems impossible to see all the line-play at the same time.

Anyway, I've got the scrimmage under my belt, now I can't wait for that first Friday night date!

Seef
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 07:39am
goldcoastump

I haven't been at the Umpire pos. for several yrs. but I usually picked 2 or 3 linemen to watch. Then I would focus on the other 2 or 3 the next play. Yes, you cannot see everybody on every play but don't get tunnel vision keep you eyes moving and don't focus on one player.

As far as being nervous, I have been doing this for 20 yrs and I still get the first game jitters. Especially this year, since I have moved to a new part of the state. I have to prove myself all over again. Don't worry it will get better as the season goes on.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: You're all right. I'm looking forward to my first varstiy scrimmage next Monday. But when you talk about how fast the game moves, remember it's our job to slow it down for ourselves. Not the chronological part, but rather the emotional part. Jerry Seeman always said he wanted his officials "on cruise control." What a great thought -- not a bunch of fits and starts, but rather a smooth evenly flowing game where we can perform effectively and efficiently.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

I have been officiating football for seven years, and when I have done that last game of the season I can't wait for next year. I remember my first game on the field, I was an absoulte wreck. I don't think I had ever been so nervous in my life. Just remember you will get through it and you will do fine, and if you hustle that is definitely a plus! Learn all you can from good officials, and never act like people are there to watch you. Good Luck and I hope you enjoy officiating as much as I do.