The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Rain, Rain, Go Away (https://forum.officiating.com/football/15045-rain-rain-go-away.html)

Axe Man Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:37pm

First game tonight and the rain gods are having fun. Raining all day in Indiana. So much for getting started on the right foot. Nice new knickers and socks...bye bye.

Hey Rutledge....if you get bored tonight at your scrimmage, wheel down I-65 to Hobart and join us. Somebody has to run the clock.

JRutledge Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:53pm

I should be working tonight as well. I do not think it is suppose to rain here, but you never know.

It rained at my scrimmage on Tuesday and we waited around for about an hour or so. The rain eventually stopped and got on with the scrimmage. Thank God it did not rain all night. I have another scrimmage in the morning and the forecast has no rain. Again we will see.

Peace

chiefgil Sat Aug 21, 2004 07:18pm

Water Break

Scrimmage games this week - 95*F, 90% humidity, no breeze, no rain, just dust. The air is so heavy, it feels like someone stuffed a wet dishrag in your mouth.

Down here in Louisiana we stop play mid-way through each period so the players, and the officials, can catch their breath, and get some fluids. We don't interrupt a drive, but as soon as we have a change of possession we take a break.

I'm not complaining because up there in Indiana, come November, there will be a heavy frost on the pumpkins. We will have temps in the 40s & 50s.

SoGARef Sat Aug 21, 2004 08:52pm

We started the season down here. Had a game in Macon, GA. With 9:34 left in the game, I cleared the field because of lightning. A line of thunderstorms rolled through. Game was delayed for 59 minutes. State Association rules state that if you have a cummulative total of 60 minutes game delay the game must be cancelled and rescheduled. Luckily, was able to get the ball in play, safely I might add, and complete the game without any further incident. Score was 15-12 for the home team. Finished game at 11:15 pm.

Axe Man Sat Aug 21, 2004 09:13pm

SoGARef,

I know how you feel. I used to live and ref out of Macon. Moved to Indiana 4 years ago. Happily, the rain slwed down and we had a very good nice for football. Good game for the first one.

SoGARef Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:09pm

Axeman,

What association did you work with International City or Middle Georgia? I work with Albany Football Officials, but live in Valdosta.

Axe Man Sun Aug 22, 2004 08:56pm

SoGARef,

I was a member of the Middle Georgia Association for 2 years. I worked for Mercer University. I have now moved on to Purdue University. I will tell you that even though it gets hot in Indiana, I do not miss the heat down in Macon. I do miss getting to wear shorts though.

SoGARef Sun Aug 22, 2004 09:29pm

The state change the rule around about 3 years ago. We can only wear shorts to the scrimmages now, not the games. Georgia follows either the SEC or the ACC. The year the ACC stopped the shorts we stopped the next.