The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

On a field goal attempt in overtime from R's 35, team K kicks a high blooper attempt which is eventually unsuccessful not going into end zone. While the kick was in flight K2 had run to R's 10 where R2 blocked K2 below the waist. Do we have psk foul and where would penalty be enforced from .
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
yes, this is a psk if R did have possession of the ball when the ball became dead. the enforcement spot would be either the spot of the foul or end of run, whatever hurts them the most.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

How can you have that, yankeesfan? It's O/T. R will now have the ball for a new series but I'm not sure where to enforce from. Anyone know? Enforce from the succeeding spot (10 or 25 depending on various state rules) to start the new series?
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Except for NCAA rules, where PSK is not applied in Extra Periods, the question is not one easily answered.

The "Why" is because NF only has a suggested OT proceedure in their books and NF states are free to come up with their own OT rules. Any one could have some unique way of handling a foul during a scrimmage kick (FG attempt).
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

I'm asking what is the proper enforcement if R (B) gets the ball for the start of its series.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by F C E
On a field goal attempt in overtime from R's 35, team K kicks a high blooper attempt which is eventually unsuccessful not going into end zone. While the kick was in flight K2 had run to R's 10 where R2 blocked K2 below the waist. Do we have psk foul and where would penalty be enforced from .
I don’t have my “Books” with me, but one thing I’m pretty sure about is PSK doesn’t apply in overtime. So I’d enforce this from the previous spot, just as I would for any other non-PSK foul during a loose ball play.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
I'm asking what is the proper enforcement if R (B) gets the ball for the start of its series.
I don’t see any way R ending up with the ball unless K declines the foul . If that’s the case , no enforcement
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeesfan
yes, this is a psk if R did have possession of the ball when the ball became dead. the enforcement spot would be either the spot of the foul or end of run, whatever hurts them the most.
Again I say I don’t believe PSK applies in NF overtime. But even if it did, enforcing it from the wherever it hurts them the most is not how you enforce PSK fouls and if that’s how you think you should be enforcing ANY foul you’re headed for big trouble. PSK fouls are enforced from the end of the kick if the foul was beyond the EOTK. .Enforce the foul from the spot of the foul if the foul is behind the EOTK.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
How can you have that, yankeesfan? It's O/T. R will now have the ball for a new series but I'm not sure where to enforce from. Anyone know? Enforce from the succeeding spot (10 or 25 depending on various state rules) to start the new series?
i misread the part about overtime, i'm sorry.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Quote:
Originally posted by yankeesfan
Again I say I don’t believe PSK applies in NF overtime. But even if it did, enforcing it from the wherever it hurts them the most is not how you enforce PSK fouls and if that’s how you think you should be enforcing ANY foul you’re headed for big trouble. PSK fouls are enforced from the end of the kick if the foul was beyond the EOTK. .Enforce the foul from the spot of the foul if the foul is behind the EOTK.
hey james, you are right about the enforcement, it wouldnt be end of run, it would be end of kick. my mistake. i did not word that correctly.
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Previous spot enforcement. There is no PSK spot here and you can't just let it go unpenalized.
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a ruling that states this? I cannot find it in the book . I do agree that it shoud be penalized from the previous spot.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I agree with THeisey. The Fed can't really discuss this play in rule 10-4-3 since there is no required OT procedure in their book--just a recommendation. However, if you use the recommended procedure (1/G from B's 10) or the NCAA procedure (1/10 from B's 25; B can score) PSK just isn't possible, since B will not snap in continuous play. I agree with ABoselli that previous spot enforcement is probably the correct thing even though the Fed is silent on it.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, also. There is no way to enforce PSK in the 10 yd OT. That leaves us the choice of enforcing from the previous spot or ignoring the foul. Since FED philosophy seems to be that no foul should be ignored, then this leaves us with a previous spot enforcement.

I believe this enforcement is also consistent with NCAA rules.