The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Free-kick for a field goal after a fair catch (https://forum.officiating.com/football/14793-free-kick-field-goal-after-fair-catch.html)

tpaul Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:57pm

Guys,

I have never seen one or heard of one (other then in the rulebook). So I am alittle confussed of how a "free-kick for a field goal after a fair catch" works.

What are the mechanics for the crew (5)?

Are all 22 players involved in the play?

What if the kick falls short of the goal line?

If it is missed, where is the ball next spotted?

KWH Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by tpaul
Guys,

I have never seen one or heard of one (other then in the rulebook). So I am alittle confussed of how a "free-kick for a field goal after a fair catch" works.

What are the mechanics for the crew (5)?

FIELD-GOAL ATTEMPT BY FREE KICK AFTER A FAIR CATCH OR AWARDED FAIR CATCH
I. POSITIONS
A. Referee behind upright
B. Umpire behind upright, rule on crossbar.
C. Both officials determine whether kick is successful.
II. ALL OTHER OFFICIALS MECHANICS SAME AS A KICKOFF
<i> Source: 2004 and 2005 NFHS Officials Manual Page 53</i>

Quote:

Yes same as a free kick with a 10 yard neutral zone!

Quote:

What if the kick falls short of the goal line?
It may be advanced by R or recovered by K.

Quote:

If it is missed, where is the ball next spotted?
I will assume by "missed" you mean the kick went beyond he endline or landed in the endzone and if this is the case the result of the play is a touchback. R will be next to put the ball in play at the R 20 yard line.

I hope this helps

tpaul Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:58am

Quote:

Yes same as a free kick with a 10 yard neutral zone!

is the ball kicked off a tee like a fre-kick (kick-off)?

Can R rush to try and block it?

KWH Sat Jul 31, 2004 02:16am

Quote:

Is the ball kicked off a tee like a free-kick (kick-off)?
YES, it can be.
It may also be held in place by a holder (with or without a tee), or it can be drop-kicked! See NFHS 2-23-3

Quote:

Can R rush to try and block it?
No they may not.
In fact each and every time R is guilty of encroachment (on the 10 yard free kick neutral zone) the ball will be moved five yards closer to the R goal posts! All they can legally do is jump up and down and yell!

FYI-
This happended just 4 years ago in a quarterfinal playoff game here in OREGON. The kick was good and the team kicking the Free Kick won the game and advanced.
I believe the losing coach is still recovering as we speak!

BktBallRef Sat Jul 31, 2004 08:44am

tpaul, it's like any other kickoff, except that the kicking team may score 3 points. All other rules apply.

tpaul Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:16am

thanks

Guys,

I love this site! I thank all of you guys that take the time to answer my and other officials questions! I have learned alot for others questions too.

I have asked these questions to other more experienced officials and could never give me a solid answer. I never want to be that way with other officials as I learn. I want to share the <u>right</u> answer with the younger officials as I become more experienced.

I do go through the rulebook alot but sometimes it seems that I don't read it and understand it as it is written. When you guys explain it; it comes out in full color!

So, thanks again for your time!

Bill D Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:43am

Our association modified the mechanics for this situation to put the officials who are most accustomed to calling field goals in position to do it. We put the BJ, LJ behind the uprights. L has K's restraining line and U has R's restraining line. Referee hands K the ball and administers the kick. Most situations involve either a successful kick, a kick dead in the end zone because it is unsuccessful or a kick short of the goal line that is live. BJ and FJ are accustomed to these situations and positions and are better able to react and cover than R and U. Besides our R was too nearsighted to trust with coverage (just joking)

jumpmaster Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:26am

has anyone ever seen this happen? what were the circumstances?

FredFan7 Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:41am

Saw this happen in an NFL playoff game!

49ers and Vikings late 80s.

Vikings pinned deep late in the first half. They punt and 49ers fair catch it at mid field. They then line up for a free kick....and miss badly. I think it was caught in the endzone and either a TB or run out to around the 20.

Markbreit worked the game. He lined up the kickers and was postioned similiar to a D1 Umpire as they kicked off. I think the FJ and BJ were under the uprights. Of course they had seven men so they kept things boxed in. Never seen it happen personally in a game.

ljudge Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:02pm

Happened in Southern New Jersey last season. I'm almost certain it was a playoff game but not quite sure. Our crew didn't work the game but a crew from my chapter (Ed Myer, South Jersey chapter) worked the game. The kick was a 63-yard attempt and I heard he didn't miss by much.

goldcoastump Mon Aug 02, 2004 01:10pm

It happen in a game in Oct 2001. Duluth HS in Gwinnett Co. Georgia. The kicker kicked a record 63yrd free kick which counts as a field goal. I was told it cleared the crossbar by 7-10 yards. I wish that I would have been there to see it.

tpaul Mon Aug 02, 2004 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ljudge
Happened in Southern New Jersey last season. I'm almost certain it was a playoff game but not quite sure. Our crew didn't work the game but a crew from my chapter (Ed Myer, South Jersey chapter) worked the game. The kick was a 63-yard attempt and I heard he didn't miss by much.

LJ, you're in South Jersey? I am in Central Jersey...

ljudge Mon Aug 02, 2004 05:06pm

We cross schools. I worked "the Pit" for the first time last year. Florence v. Cinaminson. We cover exit 52 (turnpike exit 6) and as far south as Cumberland county (Bridgeton). 72 or 73 schools total.

Our chapter meets out of West Deptford H.S. (exit 22 on 295)

tpaul Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:41pm

My crew did a 2nd round play-off game over your way ...Delsea vs. Hammonton (if that's how's spelled).

We cover a bigger area. The Central Jersey covers the Shore area, Mercer County and the Raritan area. I work the Raritan area (were I live) but we do most of our varsity games in Mercer county, they are short on officials in the area....

The Raritan district of Central Jersey meets at Piscataway High School (off of 287)......

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:35am

I haven't personally seen the free-kick be used, but heard an "outrageous" use of the free-kick rule last year. A crew from our association went down to College Springs, Iowa (we're from Omaha, Nebraska) to work South Page's game versus Hamburg. South Page might have been the worse 8-man team in the state of Iowa during the 2003 season, getting beat by the 50-point rule week in and out. This game was no exception.

Hamburg was taking punt returns back for touchdowns early in the game, or spending 1 or 2 plays on offense before scoring easily. I guess their coach decided to show a little mercy and told his returner to fair catch the punts from then on, because they had South Page pinned deep the whole game (which only lasted 2 quarters because of the 50-point mercy rule). Each time the returner did the fair-catch, Hamburg ended up lining up for the free-kick. I guess the coach's thinking was getting to the 50-point rule by scoring field goals instead of touchdowns would perhaps extend the game, but I guess he didn't think about how good his kicker was!

Now, Iowa has gone to the 35-point running clock rule and threw out the 50-point game ending mercy rule. Hopefully this new rule will get rid of some of the massacres I heard about on their side of the Missouri River last year.