The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

How do officials dress when arriving to a game (Varsity, College, Professional)?Â* Are there certain requirements in some associations?Â* I know our association offers nice Polo shirts for purchase and my crew wears them uniformly, however this is not mandatory.Â* I see some officials wearing a tie, but when someone else on the crew is in khakis and a t-shirt it looks awful.Â* How is this handled elsewhere?Â* Please advise.
Â*
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tnroundballref
How do officials dress when arriving to a game (Varsity, College, Professional)?Â* Are there certain requirements in some associations?Â* I know our association offers nice Polo shirts for purchase and my crew wears them uniformly, however this is not mandatory.Â* I see some officials wearing a tie, but when someone else on the crew is in khakis and a t-shirt it looks awful.Â* How is this handled elsewhere?Â* Please advise.
Â*
It goes association by association. Usually the guideline is that you must dress nice. This requires at atleast khakis and a collared shirt, but on the other hand some require slacks and a tie. Personally, I don't really understand it, does it really matter what we looklike before we get there?
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

I think it matters. The person who greets you is the AD a lot of times, and you want to convey professionalism to him or her at the very least. It shows respect for the school, the contest and the game in general.

Most teams that have to travel any distance (more than across town) will have their players in a shirt and tie when they arrive at the visiting school. I think it shows class and respect for the event.

For ECAC contests, one must wear khaki slacks, a blue shirt with a tie and a blue sport coat.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

We never have a place to change in the small schools, so we dress ready to do the game. When we get there we decide long or short sleeves, otherwise we are ready to go. When my old crew did a state championship game, we dressed in coat and tie since we were at the Fargo Dome and they had great dressing rooms. At most of the small schools we have nowhere to go at half-time except our vehicle. As a general rule, I have found that schools don't go out of their way for officials. When I was a school administrator, I made sure that I met the officials when they arrived and showed them to the dressing room (basketball) and in all sports I made sure they had beverages during the game and also a sandwich or more for the ride home. A little bit of extra care goes a long way with officials.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli

For ECAC contests, one must wear khaki slacks, a blue shirt with a tie and a blue sport coat.
I've never seen anything written that said what color the slacks or the coat should be.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli

REPLY: I've also never seen anything from the ECAC specifying colors...although I know that they really wanted you to wear that blue shirt with the slick ECAC logo! It may be a chapter thing.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

The blue shirt with logo was a J. Collins thing but that was all that was specified via a bulletin.

There is a document called ECAC Football Bureau Policies and Procedures which can be found at http://www.ecac.org/Officiating/Foot...and_Procedures
and that specifies no color(s) at all.

"Pre-Game Dress

For all games (except JV and light-weight games), officials and clock operators must arrive at game site in sport coat, shirt and tie."

Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
The blue shirt with logo was a J. Collins thing but that was all that was specified via a bulletin.
REPLY: Who ??? Too Happy
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

In my high school association it is we normally wear nice jeans or kahkis & a polo shirt.

In my college associton we wear suit & tie