The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

I was working a semi-pro game two weeks ago as part of a 6-man crew. This league uses NFL rules (no modifications).

I was HL and we had a 3/G from the B-8. I am watching my key (TE) at the snap and read pass. I continued to watch the TE and the deep wing guy throws a flag. After the play, he calls an illegal contact foul because the DB was continuing contact after 5 yards. I didn't see it because I wasn't watching the outside reciever. After the foul was administered, I was scolded by the deep guy on my side for not helping him out with the call. He said, "I have no idea where 5 yards is so I need your help". I really wanted to say back to him, "That's why these lines are on the field" but I refrained.

My question: Should I be helping with the outside recievers, and if so, when do I begin helping after the snap?

Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Not your man to worry about. After you read pass, did you move down to the B-3? That was a mech change last season, to have the H move down field 5 yards when "pass" is read.
Sure, you might have seen this out of the corner or you eye, but I certainly would not be looking at the wide receiver.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Mike...I agree with Tom. It wasn't your primary responsibility. You might have seen something in your periphery, but probably not enough to allow you to throw. And, if you're watching the same thing as your SJ, there's something wrong.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

This situation takes place in a pretty compact area, too. If the 5 yards ends at the B3, that should be pretty easy for the SJ to ascertain. You can't let the TE get potentially held while you fish in his pond!

Bottom line - he's wrong.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Smile I agree with you Mike.

Mike, from how you describe this you were responsible for the second receiver in, which in your play was the tight end. The side judge on your side was responsible for the flanker who was lined up outside of the tight end.

Sounds like you covered your proper receiver on the play.

In your mechanics for 6 man, does the HL go down field 5 yards when he reads pass or do you hold the line?
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

No modifications from the NFL? I believe no instant replay would be one. It is more likely for the SJ to help the HL out on a call because he has better upfield view, but rarely the other way around.
"Football is a great deal like life in that it teaches that work, sacrifice, perseverance, competitive drive, selflessness and respect for authority. That is the price that each and every one of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile." - Vince Lombardi
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

I work semi-pro games using NFL rules, also. We do have one major modification. Crowd noise rules are waived. (They hope to have enough fans to make a lot of noise). In response to your question, the deep guys have to know the limits of the 5 yard legal chucking area without help from the guys on the line, who have their own responsibilities. If he couldn't handle that call when the ball was snapped on the B8 how is he going to make the call when the ball is snapped on the 50?
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I asked a friend of mine about how the NFL handles this. True they have a seventh man, but it's clear how the play should be covered. First, illegal contact beyond 5 yards against an eligible receiver is the sole province of the official keying that receiver--no help from anyone else. The HL drifts 5 yards downfield and is primarily responsible for that belt. Typically, there will be a receiver dragging across the field. The HL picks up action by/against that receiver.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tundra Ref
No modifications from the NFL? I believe no instant replay would be one. It is more likely for the SJ to help the HL out on a call because he has better upfield view, but rarely the other way around.
I guess there are a couple of modifications like no instant replay and they don't care about properly wearing uniforms.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Re: I agree with you Mike.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
Mike, from how you describe this you were responsible for the second receiver in, which in your play was the tight end. The side judge on your side was responsible for the flanker who was lined up outside of the tight end.

Sounds like you covered your proper receiver on the play.

In your mechanics for 6 man, does the HL go down field 5 yards when he reads pass or do you hold the line?
We slowly drift 5 yards downfield.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone! I've not worked a lot of 6-man and I appreciate the collective knowledeg of this forum.