The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Question

Here is a tricky one. Under the rules (I forget the actual one, but the one about numbering at the snap) it states that 2 players with the same number can't be involved in the same down. Now if somehow both #12 players get an USC and you record it in your book, and you realize that is 2 on #12, you eject number 12. Then the coach comes running out saying that each one of his #12s committed 1 usc, you look around to the other officials, they shrug; then you glance at the sideline where lo and behold 2 number 12s are standing next to each other. Since they are both about the same height and build it is impossible to determine which commited which foul.

WHAT DO YOU DO?
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Eject them both.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

The only bad thing about ejecting them both would be the fact that most High School associations carry an additional game suspension on top of the already ejected players. This would create a very awkward/bad situation if this was reported.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Basically a no-win situation.
Options:
1. Eject one and let the governing body decide by reviewing the tape.
2. Eject neither and let the governing body review and decide. But if either one even twitches at an opponent.....
3. Give the coach the choice on which one to eject.
4. Let the opposing coach have the option. This will make you real popular on one side of the field.
5. Eject the coach (a coach) for causing the problem. Mutiple numbers should only be used on the 9th team.
6. Call the game due to dangeroous weather conditions and go take a shower.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I'm confused about whether one of the number 12's had a prior USC.

If not, my thought would be to treat each #12 as a unique player. For example, 12-A and 12-B. Then, I would record the USC's and send one or both to the sideline for a new jersey. Once returning with a new jersey (have the coach inform you or your flank of the new number to get the right guy), I would add that number next to either 12-A or 12-B depending on which one changed shirts.

If you really can't discern which player to toss if this creates a second USC on #12, then I would toss no one, and rectify the numbering problem as stated above so next time either one commits a USC, someone is going to the locker room.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

This is the reply I was looking for

Prevention of this problem is the biggest thing. Sometimes in big Schools this is a problem, but I think we must bring this up with coaches before the game so that this doesn't happen. Maybe if there are more than 1 number 12 for instance that we write it down somewhere and if there is an USC that we get a name as well to go with it (like writing down on a penalty sheet 12-jh or 12-bm. This sounds like a solution!
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think i would eject either of them, but I would rectify the problem of identfication. You have to make sure you have some way of identifying the different ones. If you must eject someone then you have to eject them both and let the governing body figure it out.