The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Has anyone hear attended or know someone well who has attended the Personal touch camp at UCLA?

I was thinking about attending it next summer and would like any positive or negative criticism about it. Like cost, how far someone traveled to get there, intensity, etc. Thanks!
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Talk to Jimmie Neil. He went to this camp last year and talks very highly of it. I have also heard that it is a very good camp.

UE
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGref
Has anyone hear attended or know someone well who has attended the Personal touch camp at UCLA?

I was thinking about attending it next summer and would like any positive or negative criticism about it. Like cost, how far someone traveled to get there, intensity, etc. Thanks!
Yes, I attended this Camp in April of 03. The cost was $500.00 and to me was well worth it. The camp is especially good for Umpires seeing as its put on by Chad Brown, one of the NFL’s best. I stayed three nights in a big fancy hotel in downtown Westwood. There they held classes from early morning until it was time to head over to UCLA for fieldwork. On the last day all 90 of us headed over to the campus stadium and platooned in 7-man crews to work a full contact scrimmage under actual game conditions. All this in front of a packed stadium, band, cheer leaders, the whole she-bang. This part was kind of like a “fantasy camp” for old slow chunky want-to bee's who haven't a chance in heck of ever working that level of ball. I came home with lots of good information and study materials. Along with meeting officials from all over the country (I’m from So. Or.) , I met many of the country top NFL and D-1 NCAA officials, all of whom made themselves readily available. This is a great Camp for those who have aspirations of moving up to top levels and need to “network” to get known.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
I am also an Umpire and I got interested in the camp from reading Chad Brown's Book, Inside the Meat Grinder. It wasn't written that good but the content was pretty intriguing. The way that he describes how gitty he felt when he was on the field was pretty cool. I am only in my 3rd year officiating football, and I am only 20, but I have a lot of people really liking what I do on the field, and I hope to get to that level and it sounds like this camp is a good start!