The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Tackling the Pitch Man (https://forum.officiating.com/football/13995-tackling-pitch-man.html)

Ed Hickland Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:20am

Sitting in on a newbie class the instructor told the class you can tackle an intended receiver of a screen pass being he is in the backfield.

Now I didn't dispute but knowing that a pitch man cannot be tackled that leads me to believe the same applies to a screen pass receiver.

But for the life of me I cannot locate what rule applies to that particular situation. Can someone cite what rule applies?

kentref Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:39am

Ed: I would go to 2-3-5b to start with. The associated note talks about "deception", but if there is no "deception" involved and a defender just tackles a pitchman or intended screen receiver, then in my book it's clearly a defensive holding/illegal use of hands foul. I suppose you could also call it an illegal block, since that's the definition I'm working from. Illegal "blocks" generally aren't thought of as a product of the defense, but in this case, maybe that fits.

Good question. I'll be interested to see what others say.

mikesears Sat Jun 05, 2004 02:23pm

The only player that can be tackled or held is the runner (or player pretending to be a runner).

The instructor was incorrect.

Snake~eyes Sat Jun 05, 2004 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ed Hickland
But for the life of me I cannot locate what rule applies to that particular situation. Can someone cite what rule applies?
First time I've opened the rule book in several months.

2-30-13
A runner is a player who is in possession of a liveball or is simulating possession of a live ball.

9-2-4
A defensive player shall not:
c. Use his hands or arms to hook, lock, clamp, grasp, encircle or hold in an effort to restrain an opponent other than the runner.

BktBallRef Sat Jun 05, 2004 07:23pm

My guess is that he meant to indicate that you can't have DPI on a pass behind the LOS.

Jim S Sun Jun 06, 2004 02:00am

We can only hope!

James Neil Sun Jun 06, 2004 02:05am

Hey, the name of this instructor wouldn’t happen to be Drock would it? :D

Theisey Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:11pm

Probably in rule 7 somewhere Ed.

I know (I looked them up) NCAA has rule 7 wordings such as these: (a) Team A or B players may legally interfer with opponents behind the NZ and (g) Tackling or grasping a receiver or any other intentional contact before he touches the pass is evidence that the tackler is disregarding the ball and is therefore illegal.

I just happened to have a rules difference manual with me and there is no compainion entry into the NF book so you therefore have to say NF matches this.

Forksref Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:13pm

9-2-4 does not include pushing the non-runner behind the LOS in order to prevent the completion. In other words, DPI does not apply behind the LOS. However, holding would, according to 9-2-4.

Looking forward to FB season!

BktBallRef Sun Jun 06, 2004 04:12pm

Pushing isn't holding. Tackling would be holding. :)

JMN Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:36am

Quote:

Originally posted by James Neil
Hey, the name of this instructor wouldn’t happen to be Drock would it? :D
:D James, remember what they say about sleeping dogs.....