The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

In preparation for the upcoming season, I'm doing what probably everyone else is doing to prepare; studying the rule books and working out.

In addition, I've found that I gain more out of the season if I establish 2-3 goals to improve my officiating over the season.

Last year, I focused on sideline communications, game control (as an R), and professionalism.

I'm working on this year's list and wondered if you guys also set goals and if so, what are your top 3 for the upcoming season? Please include how many years you have officiated so that we can see the differences in focus for newer and veteran officials.

Thanks
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

I usually like to set goals per game. Each game I have one thing I work on, and i keep doing it game after game until I feel I have done this well to move on to another goal. Use the goals to stop you from bad habbits, like reaching for your flag and not throwing it, work on not anticipating and waiting till the foul occurs. Better communication between crewmates or stopping that habitual "scratching". I've never really thought about setting yearly goals though. You definitely have to critque yourself and decide what things you need to work on.

I will try and think of some yearly goals and get back to you.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

This will be my second year. So I have only up to go... I have set a couple of goals already myself. Last year I was ump in every game I officiated (12). I have 3 goals for this year-- branch out to different positions (non-white hat of course), in the lower level 4-man crews I am setting a goal to prepare for a wing position, and officiate in those positions in a couple of games. The second goal is to get the ump mechanics down to where I look natural in the position. I mean to not have the "deer in the head lights" look. I really enjoyed being ump, what a great place to be during a game.

My final goal is to get the rule book mastered related to cases.

Granted, two goals are measurable, the other is kind of subjective, but I am having fun working at them already.

If anyone has any additional suggestions for an old guy, but new official, please let me know. As someone on another post mentioned "why did I wait so long to get into officiating?"

Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a firm believer in yearly goals and I have about a dozen that I've outlined for 2004. This year I've also developed what I'm calling my own, "points of emphasis." On top of that, each week I'm critiquing my performance in all the youth, sub-varsity and varsity games I do. I keep a fairly detailed officiating journal with all my game notes, then pick out a short list each week of items to focus improvement on. I've found this to be extremely helpful.

Goals need to be realistic and measurable, but you also need to "push" yourself if you expect to improve.

Here are a couple of my yearly goals:
1. Score 90+ on the closed book test
2. Work all positions in sub-varsity, (for me this will be HL,LJ,U, and R.

A couple examples from my "points of emphasis" list:
1. Improve communication with chain crews (my varsity position is HL)
2. Improve reading of initial keys - identifying eligible receivers, etc.

Although subjective, my yearly goals list always includes, "Have fun." If you're not enjoying being an official, what are you out there for? I started officiating at an "older" age too. Yeah, I sometimes wish I had started earlier, but I'm sure enjoying it now!

Good luck!
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Coach Gerry Faust
Working Out?

I am in the same mode as you this Spring.
I am in the club for two hours ,five days a week.
I mainly lift weights to look professional.
I might be wearing extra large uniforms all season.
Tell me what do you guys strive for when working out.
I have taken some hard hits in five seasons and, I think
working out will decrease my chances for an injury and hopefully keep me alert for a better reaction time.
I would like to know what other officials concentrate on
in the weight room and what excercises they perform.
Thanks for your input,
Coach Faust
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I am not sure that this is matches any plan that is specific to officials, but seems to work for me. As ump I tend to want to be a little bulkier for being in the middle. This plan did help me lose 45lbs, though.

MWF- 45 minutes on weight training bench press, incline bench, shoulder press, dumbbell curls, tricep extensions. Then 45 minutes of aerobics either the "fit for Life" class at the Y or elliptical trainer.

T,Th - 20 minutes in weight room, doing situps, crunches, toe raises and squats or leg press. Then into the cardio room for 60 minutes on treadmill or elliptical trainer.

I have found the Fit for life class (I just started a month ago) seems to cover a lot of the movements an official will see. I expect its similar at most YMCA's. There is running, jump rope, steps, suicides (yikes), more running, plus a good ten minutes of warm up and stretching before we get going.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Faust Fever, catch it!!!

I remember Coach Faust... He is a good man who was in the right place at the wrong time in his career...

I agree with you GB FB ump: The YMCA has great classes and programs...

I'm an Umpire like you... And I found that the YMCA works for me because of the concept of cross-training...

I can do a spin class on Monday that works the heart, quads, hams, and glutes... Tone and stretch on Tuesday and Friday (the teachers are constantly tweaking their routines so our bodies never get used to the same movements:i.e. I never realized there were so many ways of doing lunges and squats, alone, with a medicine ball or with light weights and bands)... Step class on Wed and Thur are my favorites... I believe that step is the best overall cardio, toning, and footwork exercise there is...

There used to be a Thur sports conditioning class with the infamous suicides... I feel your pain!!!

You are so fortunate to be able to spend two hours almost every day... I find that the one hour classes are so efficient for me: you get a lot done in that one hour.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Yes Mike,

I am fortunate, but it does come at price, sleep . 4:30 a.m. wake up call. But its worth it. Not only does it help in my officiating (healthy body, clear mind, etc). Keeps me healthy for my family.

Seems like the season is years away. Then when it gets here, it will be over before we know it.

Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Coach Faust:
My cardio workouts used to be primarily bike and stairmaster, but I have since gone to mostly running. For some reason the running has been better conditioning for my knees. I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but for me it works. I still do some work on the stair machine as well.

I only spend about an hour per day at the gym. At least 3 days per week. A typical workout is a couple minutes warmup. 20 minutes of cardio. 10-15 minutes of stretching. The balance of the hour is weight training, with heavy emphasis on core exercises. Pull ups, ab wheel work, dips, pushups. A variety of different free weight (dumbbell) exercises that I change weekly. I find the free weights better because it forces you to balance the weight so you gain that benefit (as opposed to using a weight "machine").

The only time I take a break from working out is at the end of the FB season and I just scale back and perhaps even take a full week off. Sometimes there are a few muscles aches that just need a little rest after the season.