The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   1.Down? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/12308-1-down.html)

CABA Tue Feb 17, 2004 03:44am

Hi,

I got a question: NCAA
in a 4.Down Team a occurs a penalty what includes a loss of down. In the ply they do not reach the first down.

My question: do we replay after compledet the panalty or is this Bs Ball and compledet the yards?

Maybe it is ill. Batting from Team A?

If you got a number of ruling for me thanks a lot.

TXMike Tue Feb 17, 2004 08:00am

Loss of down means loss of the right to repeat the down. Enforce the yardage and if they have not reached the line to gain, ball goes over.

Ed Hickland Tue Feb 17, 2004 02:28pm

TXMike makes a good point.

Loss of down is a loss of the right to repeat the down.

In those situations where you have loss of down on a 4th down play, remember, B can take the penalty against A and B takes over on downs after the penalty is enforced.

I know I mnetioned this play from the past season but it is worth mentioning again.

Fourth and 10. A QB goes back to pass. As he is about to be tackled two yards behind the line he heaves a throw that is close to nobody.

My line judge tosses a flag.

What is wrong with this?

First, how can a line judge truly be in position to see all the elements for intentional grounding. Second, it was 4th down and B would get the ball anyway. Unless it was blatant, and it was not, why bother, because no advantage is gained.

My two wings challeged me that A would get a do-over. I had B decline the penalty because they would get the ball regardless and the yardage was not critical. Then, at halftime I straightened the crew's thinking.

[Edited by Ed Hickland on Feb 17th, 2004 at 02:11 PM]

Snake~eyes Tue Feb 17, 2004 03:06pm

Wow Ed, I'm suprised your crew tried to argue that one. I think the thing that gets most people is the line in the rulebook that says no penalty gives a turnover(ovious paraphrase). The penalty does not turn the ball over, the penalty causes the team to lose a down, which then turns the ball over.

nvfoa15 Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:35pm

Ed,

I agree that your LJ has no business throwing this flag, however, I disagree on your philosphy of having B decline the penalty. The assessment of intentional grounding (a type of illegal foward pass) is 5yds and LOD from the end of the run (spot of the illegal pass). In your play, that would be a gain of seven yards (if not with 1/2 distance range) to B plus they get to go on offense. Seven yards may be all they need to attempt a FG!

Uncle Ernie Fri Feb 20, 2004 05:10pm

Hey!

Why is everyone always picking on the Line Judges??

How come the Head Linesman never makes a mistake....

LOL!

<i>(maybe it is because we have an L on our back and that stands for Loser??)</i>

Snake~eyes Fri Feb 20, 2004 07:28pm

I'll tell you exactly why. Cause the HL has to listen to a coach(like the L) AND deal with 3 morons holding sticks which like to a) watch the game and forget to move b) forget to not move until told to do so. So they cut HLs a little slack.