The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Strange plays do happen in the NFL (CLE-CIN) (https://forum.officiating.com/football/11419-strange-plays-do-happen-nfl-cle-cin.html)

PSU213 Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:35am

Not sure how many of you saw it but here is the play (I forget the exact down and distance, but you will get the idea).

A's (CIN) ball at B's (CLE) 15 yard line. Pass is caught by A1 who fumbles at the B 1-yard line. Ball bounces away from the GL and it is illegally batted by B1 at the 10 yard line and the ball goes OOB at the B 20 yard line. Also, before the pass B2 held receiver A2.

The result was the illegal bat was declined and the hold was accepted for the automatic FD. Of course defensive holding is not an automatic FD in Fed rules, and I am missing something obvious--under Fed rules wouldn't the illegal bat be enforced from the spot of the fumble (end of the related run)?

Snake~eyes Mon Dec 29, 2003 01:49am

I agree, loose ball play, enforce from previous spot which is spot of the fumble. I think that's right. Anybody else want to jump on this?

STEVED21 Mon Dec 29, 2003 08:32am

Snake,

The previous spot is NOT the spot of the fumble, It is where the ball was previously snapped. In FED, there are 2 different enforcement spots and 2 different types of plays. The hold occured during a loose ball play and would be enforced from the previous spot B's 15. The illegal bat occurred during a running play and would be enforced from the end of the run, B's 1, where the ball was lost. Bill, you are correct.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:09am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
I agree, loose ball play, enforce from previous spot which is spot of the fumble.
The spot of the fumble becomes the basic spot for any foul that occurs after the fumble, not the previous spot.

Snake~eyes Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:58pm

yah yah yah i agree a little mix up lol

JugglingReferee Mon Dec 29, 2003 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by PSU213
Not sure how many of you saw it but here is the play (I forget the exact down and distance, but you will get the idea).

A's (CIN) ball at B's (CLE) 15 yard line. Pass is caught by A1 who fumbles at the B 1-yard line. Ball bounces away from the GL and it is illegally batted by B1 at the 10 yard line and the ball goes OOB at the B 20 yard line. Also, before the pass B2 held receiver A2.

The result was the illegal bat was declined and the hold was accepted for the automatic FD. Of course defensive holding is not an automatic FD in Fed rules, and I am missing something obvious--under Fed rules wouldn't the illegal bat be enforced from the spot of the fumble (end of the related run)?

Canadian ruling: B's hold is applied from the LS, half the distance, repeat down. We don't have anything called an illegal batting. A accepts the foul or B gets the ball at the 10.