The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

After Tom White's reprimand and fine over the timing snafu earlier this year, I thought his crew would be getting several Detroit, Houston, and San Diego games for the rest of the year. However the NFL put his crew on the marquee game of the week with the Philadelphia-San Francisco game. Tom and crew did a great job! Tom correctly reversed a TD call on replay and he even had to deal with a timing issue, and he dealt with it correctly.

Its always hard to get back on that horse that threw you. I don't know if Tom's crew will get a playoff game (Tom probably won't) but he got back on that horse, and did a great job on one of the most high profile games of the year.

Good job Tom!
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Great Call

I am a die Hard Eagle fan, and as soon as I saw the fumble I knew it would be brought back. He was on top of the call, and made the right one after the review. I hated to see the TD taken away, but it was the proper call.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: On the play where Tom reversed the TD call, you probably noticed that the SJ (Joe Larrew) slipped and fell onto his butt when he tried to plant at the goal line. Every official watching the game and most of the people watching knew that the TD wouldn't stand. But Larrew couldn't see the play properly because he was moving (toward the turf!) when the ball was coming loose. No doubt he would have nailed the call if he had been able to plant and watch the play while standing still. There's a lesson to be learned. When the 'climax' of any play occurs in your area, stop and get a good look at it. Try not to be moving at this time.

By the way, White's crew also had the Monday Night game between Cleveland and St. Louis a few weeks ago. Right before he boarded the plane to return home, Larrew received a phone call informing him that his son had been killed in an auto accident.

This passage can be found in the "Around the League" section of Len Pasquarelli's column found here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=1690115

This has been a difficult season for the officiating crew of Tom White, the referee whose group created a well-publicized administrative error in the Nov. 23 Seattle-Baltimore tilt when they failed to re-start the clock properly. That oversight helped provide the Ravens more time, of course, to enact one of the best comebacks in recent years. But things grew even tougher for the crew last week, when side judge Joe Larrew lost his son: 19-year-old Jake Larrew was killed in a one-car accident after attending, with some friends, the Monday night game of Dec. 8 that his father had worked. The entire crew, in a show of support and fellowship with Joe Larrew and his family, attended the funeral of Jake Larrew on Friday, Dec. 12. They then flew to Nashville to work last Sunday's Tennessee-Buffalo game. It's easy to criticize game officials, but one thing people can never question is the devotion to the game, and to each other, the officiating crews possess. The diligence of Joe Larrew after the death of his son is a tragic and poignant reminder of that. The next time you scream at an official, you might balance the books a little by following it up with a prayer for Larrew and his family.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

I’m sending all my good thoughts to ED C, Joe L, Tom W, and the rest of that crew. It’s unbelievable what these guys go through each week. They not only work a NFL game each week and deal with all the scrutiny that goes with it, but also then have to deal with all their family issues besides. And as we can see here with Joes L’s situation, these family issues can be devastating to say the least.
Peace and Guidance too Tom Whit’s crew ,and too all who post here and work the game of FB
Old Wed Dec 24, 2003, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Not only that James but they have real jobs too.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2003, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Just out of curiosity, how much does an NFL official make per game?? Is it enough for them to live off, or do they have to keep their full-time jobs?
Old Sat Dec 27, 2003, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

According to the articles I read, he was fined $2,600, which is said to be half of his paycheck.

Game: $5,200
16 games: $83,200

Also you can recieve bonuses for playoff and superbowl games.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2003, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Tom White's been in the league for a while, so his pay is more than that of a rookie. It's somewhere in the $4500 range for rooks. Good work if you can get it.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Somone told me that an NFL official does have to have alternate income instead of what he gets paid officiating. Does anyone know any truth to that?
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Have the playoff assignments been made public yet?
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

I think the alternate recieves half of what he would get if he were actually reffing.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

I remeber seeing an NFL pay-scale somewhere on the net a year or two ago, but the only thing i remebered is that a superbowl is worth somewhere around $11 000 for each official