The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Monday Night Football Officials (https://forum.officiating.com/football/11274-monday-night-football-officials.html)

BigJWalt Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:49am

I am not going to criticise these guys, maybe some missed calls, but oh well they are human. But I want to ask some of you more experienced guys a question or 2, and confirm what I have read.

#1. Field Goald - When the ball is kicked and goes directly over the upright it is considered a successful kick, correct?

#2. You had to see the play to get into this one. When B.Westbrook or C.Bulkhalter scored Monday for the Eagles on his leap into the end zone this created contraversy on the local TV station sport shows. Here is what I thought.
a. If you dove for the endline, and you were totally suspended in the air, you had to get the ball on the inside of the pilon.
b. If your foot is on the ground, you can have the ball on the outside of the pilon?

Doesnt the goaline extend indefinitely out of bounds?
Thank you, Jerry

jfurdell Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BigJWalt
I am not going to criticise these guys, maybe some missed calls, but oh well they are human. But I want to ask some of you more experienced guys a question or 2, and confirm what I have read.

#1. Field Goald - When the ball is kicked and goes directly over the upright it is considered a successful kick, correct?

#2. You had to see the play to get into this one. When B.Westbrook or C.Bulkhalter scored Monday for the Eagles on his leap into the end zone this created contraversy on the local TV station sport shows. Here is what I thought.
a. If you dove for the endline, and you were totally suspended in the air, you had to get the ball on the inside of the pilon.
b. If your foot is on the ground, you can have the ball on the outside of the pilon?

Thank you, Jerry

1) In the NFL, the ball has to pass completely inside the outside edge of the upright extended, if that makes any sense. C.F.:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/6908349

2) Not sure of the NFL rule, but it looked like situation a; the player jumped, and brought the ball across the goal line inside the pylon while in mid-air. The referee reviewed it and called it a TD using that explanation.

bluezebra Wed Dec 17, 2003 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BigJWalt

Thank you, Jerry

"Occupation: IT Professional (Business Analyst)
Interests:"

I hope someone proofreads your business letters, and corrects your spelling.

Bob

ABoselli Wed Dec 17, 2003 02:30pm

I'm not sure we get the definitive angle on the camera they have mounted on the goal post support. If they had a camera looking up each goal post, I'd feel better about judging whether it went over or inside the post.

He does have to be touching in bounds to get the benefit of the GLE. If the player last touched in bounds before leaving his feet and got the ball inside the pylon (or touched it) its a TD.

Snake~eyes Wed Dec 17, 2003 02:50pm

jfurdell is correct and is pointing to the article I was going to show. Like he said the ball has to be inside the outter edge of the goalpost.

I was very upset :D because Madden and his friend had no clue what they were talking about during the monday night situation. They were saying all these things that were totally wrong :( . When the referee came back he explained that the ball was INBOUNDS when it crossed the plane. With that description the ruling was correct, I don't think there was sufficient evidence to make that call but he's the WH. And Madden was saying that it shoudn't matter because the goal line extends forever, but that only is for a player that is touching something inbounds.

I hope that all makes sense.

BigJWalt Wed Dec 17, 2003 03:24pm

Bluezebra(Bob), I work in IT and have a Masters in IS. We have planty of people who proof read documents before they go out, one of the secretaries handles it.

hab_in_exile Wed Dec 17, 2003 05:06pm

U hav a sekreterrie?

Snake~eyes Wed Dec 17, 2003 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by hab_in_exile
U hav a sekreterrie?
Not just one! but planty of them :D