The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Question

Did anyone watch the WIAA championship game between Brillion vs Poynette on Fox Sports last night? I noticed numerous officials wearing adjustable caps and the referee's white hat looked a few sizes too small. The crew did a fairly good job in the quarter I watched. How does Wisconsin assign their officials during the regular season and the playoffs?
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I'm watching the Div 2 game Menominia vs Germantown. Refs uniforms look better in this game. All look like they have real hats and well fitting uniforms.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I'm taping all 7 divisions of the WIAA championships. I watched part of the Brillion game, and I noticed that too. In at least two of the games I also noticed officials with blue beanbags.

Noticed at the very end of the Div-2 game the officials missed a call on the PaT. Not that it was a close game, but still... The kick-holder passed while still on his knee...

Also interesting watching where the chain crews are located. Some games they were two yards back, other games they were right on the sideline.

EDIT: As far as that Brillion game...The R had a fitted (albeit too small) hat, the other 4 in the crew had adjustable hats. But the chain crew all had fitted hats...go figure! But I'll agree their mechanics seemed good.

[Edited by LukeZ on Nov 21st, 2003 at 10:57 PM]
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 08:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I noticed that a lot this season. Next season I'll have my own crew (with fitted hats ), but this year I worked 6 games and a playoff game with a very good crew. WH on that crew wore an adjustable hat -- I tried giving him one of my fitted hats but his melon was too big.

I realized at the end of the season the only ones who notice this difference are other officials. And not many of them around here. And the blue beanbags are pretty common around here. They are especially common in areas where it snows.

(BTW, The FED manual does specify white beanbags, but does not mention fitted hats as far as I can see.)

If that's all you got on those guys, then congrats on them working a good game. Unfortunately I was out of the country -- I live about 10 minutes from Camp Randall or I would've been there.

Regards,
Rich

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Nov 23rd, 2003 at 07:49 PM]
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Wisconsin Div. 2 Final

Hey Guys,
The D2 game, Menomonie vs. Germantown, was the game that my crew worked.(I'm the white hat). There were several interesting things that happened during the game. For those of you that taped it, go back and watch it and let me know if you have any questions. I've reviewed it myself several times and I also noticed that during the last extra point of the game, on film, the holder doesn't appear to get his knee off the ground before he backwards passes to a teammate. At the time of the play it looked like he twisted his hips enough to just barely lift the knee, but the film doesn't back it up, so I probably kicked that one.
Another play in the 3rd or 4th quarter, the white team's QB threw a ball away that I ruled a backwards pass. On review it was the correct call, but we got the OOB spot a yard and a half wrong. Also, at the end of the 1st half, we had a goaline dive by blue with about :13 left. The ball was bobbled by the runner but he came down with it and scramble ensued, I stopped the clock to determine who had the ball. My wing was there immediately and said he had blue ball right here. I immediately wound the clock and the team attempted to spike the ball. Everybody was set, but before the snap, the left side of the line false started. I threw my flag, blew my whistle with 1-2 secs left. The timer didn't stop the clock. I signaled the penalty. As my umpire stepped it off, I signaled our timing liason on the field to put 1 sec back on, which was done fairly quickly. I was about to wind the clock when the defensive coach and captain wanted a T.O. I explained to the coach what happened(it took some time as you will see on tape). Then, due to the T.O., the blue team had time to line up for a FG, which they missed anyways. Exciting stuff, huh?? During a halftime interview on T.V. our supervisor said we "handled it absolutely correctly," which he reiterated to us in the locker room after the game. Obviously, as an offcial you always want games to go smoothly, but sometimes due to circumstances beyond your control(ie timing situations) your abilities will be tested. How you conduct yourself in those situations says a lot about your quality. I believe that my crew rose appropriately to the occasion and I'm very proud of my crewmates. Anyways, if you see anything else please let me know. I'm sure I'll find some more stuff myself, (I've only watched the game about six times now.) At least you guys finally get to see what "Doc" looks like (maybe that's not such a good thing). Overall the whole time down at state was an experience of a lifetime, I'll never forget it.

For the love of the game,
Doc
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 11:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Congratulations, Doc. What area of the state are you from? I am in the Madison area and was, unfortunately, out of town for the championships.

Next year I am white-hatting a crew I assembled for the first time and I'm hoping to get where you were before my career ends. I'm only 34, so I have plenty of time, I figure.

Rich
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Doc...welcome to this board. Congratulations on the game. I'm also working a championship game here in NJ this Saturday at Giants Stadium. After 24 seasons, and ten other Championship games, I still get those pre-game butterflies. But I guess if you don't, you probably have no place being out there! I'll give you a call at the office...